First time cruisers!

Search

First time cruisers!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time cruisers!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on Carnival Legend on 9/28/04. This is a big treat that I promised myself after doing nursing as a mature student and managing to pass all the exams!! Are there any tips anyone could give us? Also we are flying from Ireland into Newark then have to get to the passenger terminal as soon as possible, is there any easy way, or a good company to travel with?
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Alih, Are you leaving from New York City? If so, I would get there a day early to be sure that you get to the ship on time. Newark is a nightmare!
Other advice: Read your Carnival brochure thoroughly and also read your daily newsletter on board ship to keep up with all your daily activities. This should give you all the info you need. good luck, Carolisle
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

I am really worried now as we arrive in Newark at 12.30 and sail from New York at 4.00!!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Yikes! Is there any way you can change your flight? Nowadays it is much better to get there a day early-you never know when you will have weather delays, mechanical problems, etc. Its not worth it to start off a vacation like this stressing you will miss the boat from even the smallest delay. Here's a thread about this very thing on another cruise board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=63966

Otherwise, I think you will love cruising!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:19 PM

First of all congrats on the nursing! I am a nurse and I ahve to say after a long absence I am back at it and loving it!!! It's also a great way to pay for the cruises I love. We sailed on the legend last October. Teh traffic in and around the pier was a nightmare but the actual ride into New yrok was not bad because it was a Saturday. Although I am not a big fan of carnivalWe truly loved the Legend . It exceeded all our expectations. I would sail on her again in a heartbeat!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Your sailing date is a Saturday, so you don't have to worry too much about traffic going into New York City, where I believe you are sailing from. I believe you will have plenty of time to make a 4 pm sailing. I assume the pier is somewhere between 30-50th street on the west side of Manhattan.

You have several options, ranked easiest and most expensive to the cheapest, most inconvenient.

1. Private car - Cost would be about $70 plus tolls, so about $75. The driver would most likely be able to meet you in the arrivals hall area and help you with baggage. Trip should take 30 minutes or so. One company that I have used and which gets frequent recs on the US board is Tel Aviv Car Service, which offers some cheaper rates, give them a call at 1-800-222-9888 (this is a toll free number, but not for people calling from outside the US) or take a look at their website at http://www.telavivlimo.com/

2. Taxi - will be $45 plus tolls, so about $50 total. There is a taxi rank outside the arrivals hall, you have to cross the street to get to the line. The trip would to the piers on a Saturday should take about 30-40 minutes.

3. Bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, then taxi to the pier. Take a look at http://www.coachusa.com/ and http://www.njtransit.com/ for information. Fare on the bus would be $12, and would take about 45 minutes. The Port Authority Bus Terminal is at 8th Ave and 42 Street. A taxi from Port Authority to the pier would take about 15 minutes and cost under $15. With luggage, this is not a fun option, but is better than the train, IMO (see below).

4. Shared mini-bus to most locations. Costs $14 and takes between 30 and 60 minutes. Call (212) 315-3006 for information.

5. Air Train from Newark Airport, train to Penn Station New York. Take a look at http://www.newarkairport.com/aviation/monorailframe.htm for info. Once you get to Penn Station in New York, a taxi to the piers would take 10-15 minutes and cost under $15. However, the train is the worst way to go, IMO, as the cars do not have the capacity for large suitcases and you may be standing in the aisles (actually blocking the aisles which your fellow passengers may not appreciate). Also, getting up to the outside taxi level from the underground train arrival area in Penn Station is a pain with luggage.

Website for Newark Airport is http://www.newarkairport.com/aviation/ewrhomemain.htm. They can explain the various public and private transport options, and there are maps of the terminals as well. You arrive into Terminal C, which is for international flights.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:02 AM

To correct my own post a bit: the shared mini-bus would be easier than the public buses, as the mini-bus should be able to drop you at the pier.

With regard to taxis, the fares to all desitnations are fixed (check the Newark Airport website). When you are waiting in the queue for a taxi, there is a uniformed person at the head of the queue who will write down the fare to your destination and give it to you and you give it to the driver. You won't then end up in any argument with the driver as to the fare. There may be an extra charge for large luggage, a few dollars or so.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information. It is actually a Tuesday we get into New York. Does this make a big difference?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Coming in at 12:30pm and getting to the ship by 4pm would have been cutting too close, with very long line for the US Immigrations and traffic, not speaking of delays. From Manhatton to the ship just take a taxi. Taxis are readily available. From the airport to the hotel, I'd still take a taxi. You can take an airporter, etc., but then you need a taxi again from the terminal, and for two of you with luggage saving isn't worth the effort. I read that you are coming on Tuesday. If that's not right, be sure to come in one day early.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 03:58 PM

alih, I see you've got 3 threads out there. I hope you now have enough information to make your decision. Good luck!