Search

First Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Debbie

First Cruise

Hello,<BR><BR>We're taking our first cruise in August. It's just a quick 3 day trip to Nassau. I've heard so many awful things about Carnival Cruise lines that i'm thinking about cancelling my cruise with them and going with someone else.<BR><BR>Has anyone out there been on this cruise lately? How was it and would you recommend it?<BR><BR>I would appreciate any info.<BR><BR>Thank You<BR>Debbie

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Debbie

oops I forgot to tell which ship. It's the Fantasy

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Debbie,<BR><BR>Please read the caption "Was I On the Wrong Cruise Line?<BR><BR>Do not cancel your cruise.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Barb

I have been on 3 Carnival cruises the last year.I enjoyed them all.The activities are great, shore excursion go where I want to go, food great, larger cabins.They are a great value for the money.I have also gone on Holland America and Norweigan Cruise lines.I have liked all 3 and would go again.Have a great time!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:19 AM
tlbd

Debbie,<BR><BR>My husband and I took our 5 year old on Fantasy last April. This was our first cruise and we were really happy with it. My son did not want to leave the ship - he asked if we could stay two more days. We are getting ready for our second cruise this fall and yes we are going with Carnival again.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Debbie

Thanks for all of the positive input. I feel much better now. I don't think i'll change my cruise!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Brad

CARNIVAL IS THE WORST!!!Stay away from them...cancel if you can. I've taken several cruises with them and they get worse every time. Everything has an extra charge, service is horrible, and the food is borderline edible. The only thing good I can say about Carnival is they stayed afloat.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 04:16 AM
sally

I've been on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, Holland America and Commodore (el cheapo!). Carnival is fine. You'll enjoy yourself. Despite Brad's childish rantings, it's a good line that is working harder than some of the others at self-improvement. I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth everything went and how well the ship (Inspiration) was maintained.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Kelly

Brad, What are all the things that are an extra cost? I know shore trips, drinks, pictures, gambling but what else. I haven't ran into that on a Carnival ship though I've not been on one in a couple of years. Have friends that just returned from Fascination and they say it was one of their best cruises ever. They have been on RCCL, NCl, Costa, Princess, and Celebrity. They also said it was their best food next to Celebrity. Why so you keep going back to CCL if they are horrible??<BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:44 AM
Chet

Kelly, I have to agree with Brad. I had to pay for a cup of water for my little girl last time I traveled with them. And now, tipping is mandatory. Also, I've taken some trips(4) with Carnival and they are definately on the steady decline.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:46 AM
Brad

Hey Sally...I was giving my honest opinion of Carnival. Sorry you didn't agree with with, but your entiled to you opinion and I'm entitled to mine. So go to hell!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:25 AM
chuck

Hey Brad, <BR> <BR>I'd like to hear your view on some of the specific questions Sally asked in her post. I didn't get the impression that she was questioning your veracity. I thought she asked you for more details or a more in-depth explanation in order to reconcile the contrary opinion she received from her friend who sailed Fascination. <BR> <BR>Obviously you had bad experiences on Carnival, so why not answer Sally's questions? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:03 PM
Steve

Classy, Brad. Classy! Carnival is too good for you.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Wendy

Hey Chuck, Sally didn't ask any questions. Kelly asked the questions, and I'll answer for Brad, because I happen to agree. My family and I traveled on the Ecstacy. The boat was rusty, carpets were never vacuumed, and yes tipping is now mandatory. The service we received was not adequate, exept maybe for Billy Bob Trailer Trash standards...hum um...Steve. We certainly didn't think mandatory tipping for poor service was called for.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 12:30 PM
CB

I've been on over 15 cruises and 5 of those were with Carnival and all were fine. Are they the best? No. There is a reason they are the largest and most successful cruise line, they give you a good cruise experience for the money you spend. Carnival makes for a good 1st cruise experience. Tipping is not mandatory as stated but is does show up on your shipboard account. If you want to change or do not agree with the total visit the pursers and have them change the total. They may ask you to fill out a form stating why you want to change the tipping total, but it's hassle free and painless. <BR> Happy Travels, CB

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:25 PM
chuck

Hey Wendy, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the correction--I meant to refer to Kelly's questions as you figured out. Wow, your experience doesn't sound too good. Was everything else about the cruise bad also--e.g., food, paying for *extras*, entertainment?

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:23 AM
travel agent

Here's what I advise my clients when deciding on the "type" of cruise line: <BR> <BR>1. What type of restaurants do you like? <BR>if it's a chain type - do Carnival <BR>if it's more upscale - do Celebrity <BR> <BR>this is a fair rule of thumb to gauge based on what the client "likes" in terms of co-cruisers, just like dining out! <BR> <BR>For a short term cruise, RCCL has some great 3 and 4 nighters @ very good prices, depending upon travel dates.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Sue

I also posted to this board requesting information on an upcoming Carnival cruise. I was amazed at the hatred level of the Carnival bashers! For a more balanced view try this recent article in the Chicago Tribune: http://cgi.chicago.tribune.com/trave...s/carnival.htm. It will ease your mind about Carnival.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:54 AM
Lynnie

Great article. <BR>Thanks Sue

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:02 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>I am curious about a post from Chet who stated he had to pay for a cup of water for his little girl. <BR> <BR>I have been on 74 cruises and never had to pay for water. All cruise lines have complimenary water unless you wish to buy bottled water. Possibly a bartender misunderstood the order. <BR> <BR>Paul <BR> <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -