First Alaskan Cruise

Search

First Alaskan Cruise

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Alaskan Cruise

We are looking to take our first cruise to Alaska. It will be 3 adult couples in our 40's. Any suggestions for which cruiseline? Currently looking at Royal Carribean, HAL and Princess. Any comparisons between the three? Any suggestions on which excursions not to miss?
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Holland and Princess have the best reputation in Alaska since they have been doing it longer then the other lines. They have the best times in port, the best docking locations and seem to know what they are doing.

I sailed RCCL last year and was disappointed. Others who sailed with me who had sailed Princess and HAL previously did not enjoy RCCL. So this year, I am doing Princess. Princess is also a good choice because they have "anytime dining".

Done a lot of research for this year.

Advice - do a North to South or a South to North route. You will see more this way then RT from Vancouver or Seattle.

Try to pick a ship with College Fiords and Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier would be second choice but Glacier Bay College Fiords are supposed to be the best.

Whale watching in Juneau is fun. You can also go up to Mendenhall glacier here rather cheaply ($5 each way via bus).

Most people who visit Alaska the first time take the train in Skagway (White Pass rail). I did this and wish I had taken the train one way and the bus back. It was difficult to take pictures from the train and it was sort of boring on the way back since they don't narrate on the return trip.

Lots of cool and expensive trips - dog sledding, fishing, float planes, helicopter rides and landing on glacier, etc. . .

Do lots of research before you book. Go here
www.cruisecritic.com
and click on ports of call and Alaska. They have lots of experienced travelers here.
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:45 AM

I never recommend any one way trips without at least 5 additional days interior touring, 7 with a cruise tour. You are already all the way there spending the time and money to get there not to take advantage. Actually the cruises are more similar than different. Choose carefully but base your choices on route, ports, time in ports and glacier, BE aware- you can't get it all and a compromise for your interests will be necessary. My priority is also for the smallest ship possible. Factor in price and be certain to budget for costly - not to be missed touring, only 1/2 a trip without it.
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:44 AM

If you are all adults, you may want to consider Celebrity. They have an adults only cruise. I've heard lots of the other ships have high kid/teen populations which can be a bit aggravating when you aren't traveling with kids of your own...
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I haven't been yet (Sept. 18) but if you go when school is back in session , it is more adult.

And, they say, that there are more bargains onland, as the end of the season is near.

Have fun!
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:48 PM

Hi Don,
We've been to Alaska five times, once with Celebrity and four times with Princess. We much prefer Princess.
We love the Personal Choice dining because if you prefer you can choose to dine with new people every night therefore making new acquaintances.

I agree with Theresa,it's nicer viewing College Fiords and Glacier Bay rather than Hubbard Glacier,you will sail pass more glaciers and they are awesome, we've done both.

Kids are no problem on Princess. The counselors keep them busy all day long and I've never seen any running around.

My opinion: June and July are best months to sail in Alaska.
There is a shore excursion that we enjoyed very much, the log rolling, I believe it's in Ketchikan. I never hear anyone comment on it but we thought it was a lot of fun to watch.
Happy sailing!
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:21 PM

I've done both Holland America and Royal Caribbean and found Royal Caribbean to be a much better cruise line. Sure, Princess and Holland America have been in Alaska longer, but RCCL goes to the same places that the other lines do. I wouldn't sail Princess just because "they've been up there longer" as really, that isn't an excuse.
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:56 AM

From what I've been reading, the ships are filling fast. I would make my decision rather soon to get what you want.

Another suggestion that I have read, is to take the same ship back to back. You will go to the same ports twice and can take 2 tours-one up, one back. The airfare might be cheaper as you will be round-trip from the same city.