Finding a private tour guide for Tunis/Carthage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While considering a November cruise that includes a port in Tunisia. I've been researching how to plan a full day visit to Tunis/Carthage. I'm disappointed that the Africa forum has very few current posts about Tunisia/Tunis. I'm also finding little on TripAdvisor. Do you think this is a port that it's better to just go with a cruiseline sponsored tour? If you have toured Tunis/Carthage on your own, how did you structure your day? Do you have a private guide you would recommend?

I know it's a long way out but I have several trips planned for this year. Our most important one comes in June when we are taking our 3 grandsons (along with their parents) to France for the first time!! That trip will be all about the boys so our cruise gets to be all about US Thanks for any suggestions regarding Tunis. Deborah
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Hi Deborah, I have been gathering info myself as my DH and I are considering a transatlantic in Nov. and includes Tunis/Carthage. Here are some comments I found on TA:

"My husband and I have just returned from a cruise which stopped at Tunisia. Believe me don't bother there is nothing worth seeing. I know Hannibal came from there but he is long gone and any remnant of history also gone. Don't bother with day trips from cruise ship those that went said time wasted. If you want independent travel into the local town beware Taxis don't have meters and will rip you off. Crew from the ships only pay 5 Euro to town, not so for the tourist. All I can say is be warned don't go, plenty of other Meditterranean ports."

Obviously take all reviews and comments w/ a grain of salt, this is what I do.

Here is another website that I have used for research: Tours by Locals
http://www.toursbylocals.com/Tunisia-private-trip

"I have not read a single review of this port in Tunisia that sounds good. It is a poverty stricken place, with beggars and trash."

"I was on the Ocean Princess - Mediterranean cruise Sept. 22nd and would like to comment on the port change to Tunisia. It was a disappointment and a total waste of time going to this port. We were not welcome and treated with disrespect. It is an ugly, dirty area with a few stinky camels and rude people. We got back on the ship as fast as possible"

A thread on CC for those that visited Tunisia and their comments:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...tunisia&page=3

This is probably enough for you. I would be very careful about wandering about on your own. Maybe it would be advisable to book a ship's tour. Not to say that it would not be a nice day there but the world is a very troubled place right now and I would certainly err on the side of caution.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=172

Two of us, both women, walked around Tunis near our hotel, which was very centrally located and near the medina. It was very safe (though you don't see many women eating at any of the many streetside restaurants...)

"As for the port (also visited Tunis on two cruises, in 2012 and 2011), there is not much to do near it, but you can take the local train to a stop near Carthage (Byrsa Hill) and see it on your own if you want. Alternatively, there are taxis lined up and a board that gives set rates for various tours ranging from a couple of hours to a day"

Hope this helps you to decide whether to go w/ ship's tours or continue your search for a private guide.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

luv2, thank you for sharing some very helpful information. I have exchanged messages with someone on Cruise Critic that is also searching for a guide in Tunis. We have discussed putting together our own tour. The one guide listed in toursbylocals might just work since we have about 10 people interested so far. Off to do more research on this topic Thanks again, Deborah
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 05:49 AM

Oh good, glad that I could give you useful info. Yes, that certainly sounds like it would work if you already have 10 people. I did book a tour guide using the toursbylocals site when we were docking Reykavik as all the other guides/tours were full. The guide I used was fantastic!

I would be happy to offer suggestions for putting together a private tour if you like as I do it all the time when we cruise and have lots of info I can share. I can give you my email address.

Check the terms for booking on that site also.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM

Hi Deborah,

Don't know if you are still looking for a tour guide for Tunis but I was just browsing the CC boards and came across this thread you might be interested. Someone used Noureddine for a tour and recommended him.

Here is the CC thread:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1898611

After u open, go to #15 review w/ info.

If you can't open it let me know.

Hope this helps!

May
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 04:23 PM

We will be in Tunis on Nov 9 (my birthday) which I was looking forward to--both! Sort of disappointed about comments.

You might try www.shorebee.com as a cruiser as that may help you.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Luv2 thanks for the info. I did send an email to nouriddine and received a prompt reply back which I consider a big positive. I forwarded his email to the cruise critic member that started the inquiry and am letting her move forward with planning a tour Thanks again, Deborsh
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 04:23 AM

Your welcome, glad I might have helped! Yes, I have found those guides that respond immediately are reliable. Let us know how things go.

jan47ete - shorebee - nice website! Have bookmarked for future reference.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 12:21 PM

Hi-- I too am booked on the Ocean Princess Oct 26 - Nov 9. Have traveled the Med before at same time of year--- no weather or other issues and I think the best time to go. I've also sailed Princess many times, and just as often travel via non-cruise transit. I looked for this cruise for months and selected it back in June (more than a year in advance)to introduce my friend to the region (I've been many times half of the ports of call vs zero for my friend). Saw your post while looking to book a Tunis tour off the ship's available tours to be able to do Carthage, Sidi Bou Said and Medina. My family has visited Tunisia before -- fantastic experiences. Hope to see you in Oct!
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Antarctica, , how nice to know that someone from Fodor's will be on the same cruise--- I must be in the best of traveling circles glad you can confirm that this is a good time of the year for the Med. I'm looking forward to being on a smaller ship so hope to meet you on the cruise. We have a reservation on the Princess tour to Carthage just in case we can't find a quality guide for a smaller group tour. Deborah
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:14 AM

Hi Deborah--- Great minds think alike! We've also confirmed the tour to Carthage as a backup and have reserved a local guide for Carthage/Medina/Sidi Bou Said for 5 hours as a special tour. Will make the final decision closer to the sail date, but am leaning toward the local guide. FYI, we're 8026 on the Ocean Princess.
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 06:15 AM

Hi Deborah, I was in Tunis last week with this local guide. I found him on Viator website. He's a good guy

http://tourguides.viator.com/tour-gu...rbi-32089.aspx
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 12:05 PM

topping this old post...I was wondering if you folks did the Tunis tour and would report back? we are cruising next June and I'm researching options now. Would love to hear how you liked your tours.