Reload this Page >

Fanning Island.....NCL Star

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Laura

Fanning Island was incredible. These people really do live in grass shacks. I would be surprised if more than a handful even had a pair of shoes. <BR><BR>And they were so sweet and friendly. I brought some crayons and colored pencils, and pencil sharpeners, barrettes and even about 25 American flag pins that we had from a job my daughter used to have. Plus, I brought about 50 fruit roll-up type things. My friend told me I was crazy and that the kids would be swarming me and begging. <BR><BR>But she was SOOO wrong. These kids were sweet and shy and peeked at me from behind their parents, smiling big smiles. Many times, their moms had to prompt them to take my gifts. And some of the adults gave me presents back. After I gave one family of about 3 or 4 kids some stuff, their dad waved across his table of crafts and insisted I take whatever I wanted. (I took an itty-bitty tortoise he had make out of seashells.)<BR><BR>I felt awful when I ran out of things to give the kids. Too many didn't get anything. <BR><BR>Please, if you can, bring gifts for the kids. <BR><BR>Here are some suggestions for things: <BR><BR>Some paper for the pencils and crayons<BR>flip-flops (all sizes) from the dollar store<BR>dolls<BR>little first-aid kits<BR>clothing (shorts, tops)<BR>books full of pictures<BR>toys, toys, toys!<BR>more barrettes and pretty things for the teenage girls<BR>used musical instruments..all kinds, like recorders, kids' toy guitars, tambourines, etc. Someone mentioned that the strings were broken on some of the adult's guitars, so supplies would be welcome, too.<BR><BR>Fanning Island was by far the best day of my trip. It was absolutely fascinating.

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Patty

Linda,<BR><BR>Glad you enjoyed Fanning as much as we did. Hope the rest of your cruise was great too.<BR><BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Patty

I meant "Laura"... sorry don't know where I got Linda from???

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Laura

One more thing I wish I had brought were packets of vegetable seeds (zucchini, tomato, green beans, carrots, etc., warm rather than cool weather vegetables). Their diet is very, very limited. I doubt that many, if any, of the adults can read, though, and so I would give the seeds to the school. There is also a man from NCL in charge of everything for the port stop at Fanning, and he would be a good person to give the seeds to so they could be given to the school. <BR><BR>I wish there was a way we could help the dogs, too. They are so thin that their hip bones jut out and you can count their ribs just by looking at them.

Old May 15th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Laura

One more thing I wish I had brought were packets of vegetable seeds (zucchini, tomato, green beans, carrots, etc., warm rather than cool weather vegetables). Their diet is very, very limited. I doubt that many, if any, of the adults can read, though, and so I would give the seeds to the school. There is also a man from NCL in charge of everything for the port stop at Fanning, and he would be a good person to give the seeds to so they could be given to the school. <BR><BR>I wish there was a way we could help the dogs, too. They are so thin that their hip bones jut out and you can count their ribs just by looking at them.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Jim

Does anyone have pictures of this island?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:48 PM
LeaveUsAlone

Laura,<BR>What makes you think the natives want to eat zucchini, tomato, green beans, and carrots? You really shouldn't try to tamper with their ecosystem or way of life, or someday you might return to find condominiums and convenience stores rather than grass shacks.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:19 AM
xxx

Bring them the crown jewels of civilization: a Starbucks and a McDonalds.<BR>