Dining Table For Two

Search

Dining Table For Two

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining Table For Two

My wife and I are trying to decide if we should book a Caribbean cruise for our special anniversary. Neither of us has ever been on a cruise, and we are not sure if cruising is for us because we are loners to some degree. We know that many people don't mind and may enjoy dining at a table with 6-8 strangers, but we would prefer dining by ourselves at a table for two. Is this possible on a cruise? If so, which cruise lines might offer such an option? Can this dining option be prearranged and guaranteed?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM

If nothing else works, you can request room service.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM

Absolutely you can dine ...just the two of you.
Make the request and it is done.

It is your Anniversary and your time together, so enjoy your own company, instead of making small talk with stangers .

jmvp
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:26 AM

One some cruise lines you can "request" a table for two, then closer to the sail date the dining coordinator assigns the seating. Nothing is ever guaranteed. If you are not assigned the table time/type you want, go see the Maitre'D upon embarkation in the main dining room and have it worked out then. When you have thousands of people to seat, they will not all get what they want unfortunatley. They do the best they can. Certainly mention the anniversary when booking.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
sallylouise

Princess and NCL have open dining options. Eat when, where and with whom you want. We had no trouble dining at a table for 2 on both these lines.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM

We had trouble for 15 of getting to a Bistro on Crown LOL but then we mentioned Anniversary and ALL was set.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:08 PM

Our only experience is on the celebrity Mercury. Thare was assigned seating in the main dining room, but for a very slght fee we could eat in another side dining area, which had it's own menu. we used this when we didn't feel like making conversation with other couples.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM

We have cruised many times on RCCL and Celebrity and have always had a table for two. On the day of embarkation you will find a card in your cabin showing your table assignment. Go to the dining room and check out your table. If it is not what you requested, the maitre d' will be available in the dining room and you can speak to him and ask for the table for two. Also, although they say that it is open seating for breakfast and lunch we always ask for a table for two as we enter the dining room and have always been accommodated.
Our last cruise was on Oceania. They have open seating for all meals, but you can always have a table for two if that is what you request.
We always say that we wouldn't go to a restaurant at home and sit with a group of strangers, so why would we do that on a ship? But some people truly do enjoy that so it just depends on your individual feelings.
Have a wonderful time deciding on your trip.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:39 AM

We did this years ago ,other people gave us strange looks,maybe they thought we were anti -social.I am going on a cruise and will be sitting a large table ,I get dining with strangers and all that ,but I think when your alon after a while it gets a little boring,and if your with a good gang it could be entertanning,I just reread your post I was exactly like you when I was young,and as I got older I have become a little more social. Do what both of you like,I was always worried getting tied up with the wrong people for me .Good luck and I am sure you can sit alone if ou wish.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
sallylouise

I understand the desire to dine alone. We have been married 34 years and actually don't mind being with each other! After a long day of excursions we just want to have a relaxing meal without having to converse with strangers and listen to someone's life story, complaints etc.
I know some say they have made life long friends on their cruises but I guess we will never be in that boat.
We are not unfriendly people. We talk with people on the ship we meet along the way but just prefer to have a quiet meal by ourselves.

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM

Norwegian Cruise Lines is for you (and us). No assigned seating, lots of doubles.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you to all of you who replied or will reply to my post. Your comments and suggestions have been incredibly educational and helpful! It is interesting to know that others understand our wishes. We can now feel comfortable in planning our trip!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM

We've been on only 3 cruises (2 with Princess and 1 with Celebrity) and each has given us a table for 2. We ask for it when we fill out the info an line & then go straight to the dining room upon boarding to make sure. There would be nothing worse than being stuck with dinner companions you didn't particularly like. Ask for the table for 2 - it shouldn't be any problem at all.

Enjoy your cruise!