Faina's Viking questions

Search

Faina's Viking questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faina's Viking questions

Hello, crowd, it will be (if it happens) my first cruise ever, and I want to do a river cruise. Viking looks appealing - they have the itinerary I like (Amsterdam RT) and won't need an open jaw flight. Also they promise a discount if I book by October 16.

Thinking of March-April, hopefully to see the tulips. Being naiive, huh?

So, if you are still with me, the question is: anything I need to know before the initial reservation?
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I have another question: what if I want to go back to my cell... errr... cabin for a mid-day nap? Is this a possibility? Or I should stay away from the ship the whole day?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM

You can certainly go back to your cell for a nap--no problem.

I was just reading some reviews of Viking cruises somewhere else, and one gave me pause: comments that the food was great the first day and then went downhill. That gives me pause, too, as each and every meal on my GCT cruise was first rate.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM
pat

check out www.cruisecritic.com and click on boards. Then scroll down to river cruses, and see what people have to say
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you looked at Grand Circle? They always seem to have great deals for the Nov/Dec holiday cruises.
http://www.gct.com/gcc/general/default.aspx?oid=8767

Be aware that river cruises can turn into bushotel cruises if there is any flooding.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM

We went on Uniworld (South of France and Provence) two years ago. It was wonderful--the food, the service, everything. And you can definitely nap on the ship. Our ship had no pool or fitness facilities, but we didn't really miss it. We found river cruising preferable, for us, to ocean cruising in several ways (no sea sickness, in a port every evening so you can run off the ship and explore after dinner, the small ports you are able to dock in, sitting on deck and watching the little towns and cities slowly go by...) One thing I'd mention, it seemed to attract an older crowd...in case you are looking for a certain age group. We were the youngest at 40.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Well... I've decided to do a land trip, going to Amsterdam on my own, maybe 2-3 cities in the Netherland.

Thank you, everyone!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM

What a traitor, LOL!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have taken several Viking River cruises. Since they usually dock right in the middle of town, you can easily return to the ship as well as leave it. We preferred to eat in the towns when possible . The food was fine onboard but continental and not necessarily local.It is easy to be independent on a river cruise.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Spur, just so you know, I'm taking a sea cruise instead of a river cruise, so I am only a partial traitor

(river cruises look like bus tours only much more expensive, but I want to try a crise, so going out of LA in January)
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM

We just returned from a Bucharest-Budapest rivercruise and last Sept. did the Amsterdam-Budapest rivercruise. Both times people told us to do the tulip tours much later than you're planning....they suggested late April-early May...other than what they told us, I don't know from personal experience. We always travel with Tauck, but the Viking boats look very nice.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 08:25 AM

I did my first rivercruise thru Russia last year and loved it. Four nights in St Petersberg (on the boat), 7 nights cruising on the river, and 4 nights in Moscow (at a hotel).
This is a great way to travel solo to more challenging places. One can add days before the cruise for land touring.
I'll definately do another rivercruise.
Faith
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:46 AM
Suerich68

Faith,
That's the one I'd like to do. Which line did you use, and who booked it for you?

Thank you.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Hi Suerich,

I booked this trip with Grand Circle. They have a website (gct.com). I just fell in love the the itinerary and decided to book the trip--I was not looking for a rivercruise at the time.

But, it was a great way to see/experience Russia. Also, the mix of seeing St Petersburg and Moscow with the 7 day cruise in the middle was great pacing for this trip.

I travelled with Grand Circle 3 different times and really enjoyed each of my trips. The pacing on these trips is great (3-5 day stops) so one has time to do the tour thing and also have alone time for independent activities.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Faith

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Suerich68

Thank you, Faith.