excursions to see wildlife

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need some advice on picking excursions for our alaskan trip-we are particularly interested in wildlife-bear, moose, dall sheep, etc. Excluding the bear viewing trips (too expensive for us) what do you suggest? We will be doing the Sapphire Princess tour July 15 2006. We will be in Denali, Copper River, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. We are looking at the Copper River van/bus trip to McCarthy/Kennicott, the Wilderness Exploration/Crab Feed, Backcountry jetboat,Misty Fjords wilderness explorer. Any wildlife views on the Skagway Yukon bus and rail tour? We appreciate your suggestions.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM

If wildlife is indeed a priorty, then you need the Denali Park shuttle to at least Fish Creek. Your absolute best choice for your wildlife list, with just about given sightings. I'll assume you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included in your tour package???? A BIG mistake if you do not. But prime bear habitate in Denali park is the the 10 miles PAST the turn around to that tour. Necesary is a good pair of binoculars for each person, at least 10 power.

Do not expect wildlife out of Skagway, very unlikely.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:15 AM

I agree that Denali will be your best opportunity for wildlife. I'd like to add that the earliest departure you can get is the best. The animals are most active then.

Skagway is all about the Gold Rush. No wildlife there (except for the tourists). The Gold Rush is interesting though and something you should consider. If you have time, read Michner's Alaska before you go.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. Our tour only included the short Natural History Tour and I was unable to upgrade to the Tundra-so I've booked the shuttle to the Fish creek turn off. I have also booked the fresh water fishing trip to Chilkoot Lake (Skagway) because i read there are also wildlife sightings possible.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:11 AM

Sorry but wildlife sightings near Chilkoot lake is VERY,VERY rare. And best in Sept when the salmon are running for brown bears. Also Chilkoot Lake is NOT in Skagway, it's in Haines, so add to the time of your trip 45 min. ferry each way and probably not much fishing.

You are in Denali Park long enough for a Fish Creek Shuttle?? Be well aware of your timing. 2 nights there included, I'll assume, at the Denali Princess lodge? 1 night stays rarely have time to get to Fish Creek.