Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

RCL Alaska - confused b/w Tundra Wildnerness Tour & Denali Natural History Tour - pkg 16 vs 17 PLUS question on cabin location

Search

RCL Alaska - confused b/w Tundra Wildnerness Tour & Denali Natural History Tour - pkg 16 vs 17 PLUS question on cabin location

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all - I just booked a cruisetour for my 72 year old (active) mom and her friend (newbies to both Alaska and cruising) on June 5 sailing for RCL cruisetour package 16 on Radiance of the Seas. I chose pkg #16 (over pkg #17) since it gave more time in the glass domed traincar (as opposed to the bus) in the land part of the tour. However, I read on on a thread on this site that the "Natural History Tour" (on pkg 16) is "totally useless", as opposed to the "Tundra Wilderness", which is much better. Now I am back to square one!! I want them to get the best of their trip - any tips from travelers who may have done one or the other (or both) would be helpful.

Also, they are on a northbound sailing and I read online that it is best to get a cabin on the side of the ship that faces land. I spoke with the travel agent who said that while sailing the inside strait, you have land on both sides and when sailing other times you are 35 miles off land. Nevertheless, they did not have any cabins (with a balcony) on the right side (sorry dont know the nautical term), but I was able to get a cabin with a balcony, D1 category, which is in very back of the ship, which will have a panaromic view. Trouble is that puts me $400 above budget per person (started out with $1600 pp, now am at $2000 pp). Again, there was a long thread on balconies vs no balconies - but any input from travelers who have (or know of others) travelled in the cabins in the very back of the ship would be appreciated.

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM

When we were in Denali a few years back, there were two tours. One that went a few miles into the park on the (not a) paved road. The longer tour went several more miles into the park and was wonderful. We saw a lot of wildlife of many kinds, including several brown bears. Sice there is but one road, we really, in essence, took both tours, I can say that the longer tour is the one to take. The shorter one is just a preliminary to the real tour.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM

You need to fully understand the cruisetour that you purchased which most people do NOT.

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in Denali Park "tours". For clairfication, the NHT goes 16 miles into the park on ALL public paved road. The kick is, the Park Service runs a FREE shuttle bus here. The Tundra Wilderness tour goes to mile 53. Farther means more wildlife and more scenery. Many NHT's don't get ANY wildlife and certainly not in the range of the TWT. However, I don't even consider this distance as it's below my standard. I have to go to at least Eielson, mile 66 via shuttle bus, which isn't really an option for you. The Park Road into Denali is 90 miles.

You need to look at everything about the land tour, do realize that the train on the Anchorage/Denali portion just about parallels the Parks Highway. And especially if Denali is NOT viewable, which is most of the time- it's a LOT of trees and more trees. Be certain, all the cruisetour time is not in transit. RCI does a good job if they go to Talkeetna. The Talkeetna Alaska Lodge is the nicest one there.

As for cabins- definately the aft cabins get RAVE reviews. It will certainly be VERY enjoyable!!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM

The Tundra Wilderness Tour is significantly better than the Natural History Tour. You are well advised to switch to the option that includes this tour. What side of the ship you are on is not that important.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback. In order to switch to the Tundra tour from the Natural History tour, my mom does not get to do Fairbanks (which includes a Riverboat steamer ride and panning for gold). Is the Fairbanks stop a tourist trap? Decisions, decisions.... sigh...
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM

It would be grossly unfair to refer to Fairbanks as a tourist trap. It is an interesting city, unique in several ways. We have done both the steamboat trip and the gold dredging operation, and they are worthwhile, especially the steamboat ride. However, in our opinion, Fairbanks itself and these two experiences are not worth giving up the Tundra Wilderness Tour, which is one of the highlights of any Alaska land excursion. To go to Denali and just take the Natural History tour would be a gross mistake in our opinion.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Fairbanks is a fantastic city, it's too bad that cruisetours don't see it. It is essential to get there at least a day early and rent a car. Otherwise you won't be doing much outside of the included boat ride and gold dredge.

Without added touring there, it definately a superior option to skip it in favor of Denali Park. Even the TWT is lacking for me, since it doesn't get into the park far enough for my preferences. But Denali Park, overall is the highlight of an Alaskan visit and the Natural History tour is an extremely poor choice and a big mistake.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Aristotle, RenaissanceMan and BudgetQueen for your much valued tips and feedback. My mom is on the Tundra (which incidentally gives her less time in the glass-domed train, and more time on a motor coach - I guess the tour companies give a little bit of something in each tour in order to make them all palatable and attractive). Now that I have that done, I will be focusing on the shore excursions next (for the cruise part of their tour). Watch out for those postings next!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Hopefully you are still around as I have a cabin question!!!
Are the cabin balconies on the very back (D1s with larger balconies) more cold and windy than those on the sides of the ship?? I have to make a decision. Also, are Deck 7 balconies (above the Singapore lounge) noisy at night??