Mediterrean in August - safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are about to put down our final payment for our Augst 9th cruise out of Barcelona on the Golden Princess. With the war going on, our families have advised against us going, but we don't believe it will affect us. We understand that the port in Turkey may be resceduled and we can live with that. How are you Med. cruises handling this war and your travel plans?
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Lew

Going.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 07:35 PM

Go and make sure you have TRIP cancellation insurance,,,<BR><BR><BR>The Sea Dream Yacht club has a fabulous offer now that is super CHEAP, and INCLUDES alcohol and a NO STRINGS cancel policy--<BR><BR>go to www.seadreamyachtclub.com<BR><BR>It is an old SEABOURN totally gutted and renovated and super upscale!!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:29 AM

We're on the Golden in May and wouldn't even think of canceling. It's going to be a great trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:35 PM

I just booked a May 23rd trip on the Royal Princess - prices are SO good right now and I'm not concerned about travelling in the Med at all. Could't pass this one up!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:45 PM

A word about the trip cancellation insurance. I am pretty sure that most of the insurance does NOT provide coverage for terrorism unless there is actually something severe like a bombing at the port of call within 30 days of your arrival.

Then again, when I booked my last cruise (a few weeks ago) I bought cancellation insurance which allows me to have all of my money refunded. The only reason that I specifically inquired about was whether a family member died before the cruise, can I cancel and get 100% refund, and was told yes.

Under that logic, I would assume that you probably could simply change your mind and cancel and get 100% refund too. If not, and you change your mind at the last minute, then maybe fib and say family member died.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:01 PM

TO Jim Smith -- If you change your mind and decide not to cruise ( with trip cxl insur.) you do NOT get a refund...

ONLY illness and death in family will denote a refund and MUST be backed up by DEATH certificate or hospital stay bill or doctor's report....

This is just a heads up---
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Read the fine print to trip cancellation insurance carefully - some now have clauses that allow you to cancel if US Dept of State issues travel warning to specific destination - but the cruise line would likely reschedule that one port anyway. As many people have discovered after 9/11 and with more recent war-related concerns, you can't just get your money back because you are scared.

If your families are worried, tell THEM not to go - the deciding factor should be will YOU have too much worry/fear to enjoy yourself. If you will, don't go.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Lew

Thee used to be &quot;bad hair day&quot; travel insurance, ie you could cancel a trip within 24 hrs for any reason whatsoever.

That, like my hair, is now gone.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Heading out in just about a week for the first Med sailing of the Golden Princess.
If the ship goes..we'll be on her!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Just booked the May 29 cruise and can't wait to go. No concern here.