Excursion costs Paul Gaugin?

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion costs Paul Gaugin?

Any advice on the 10 day Paul Gaugin Society Is. & Tuamotus about which shore excursions not to miss?
I am trying to determine how much $$$ the shore excursions will add to the cost of such a cruise. The Regent website for excursion booking is not available so I've no idea about costs. Some reviewers on Cruisecritic.com have indicated they booked their own excursions and didn't use the PG for that.
Any help would be appreciated as we try to plan our expenses.
The airfare & 2 nights hotel(Radisson Plaza) upon arrival & 1 night before departure from Papeete are all included in a deal for 2 for around $8,000 for May '09 (Cabin Cat. E).
However, we want to have enough $$$ to see the islands & not just remain on the ship!!!!
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Carol
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM

We took the same 10-day cruise as you in 2006. It was our second cruise on the PG. We also stayed a few days at the Radisson before the cruise. In general, I do not think it is worth booking your own excursions in Tahiti, though I understand the exchange rate has improved. The one time I arranged for a trip with an independent operator, he canceled. If you book them through Regent, and if something goes wrong, or if the excursion is not up to par, our experience is that they have been pretty good at giving at least partial refunds. I don't have a current price list, but here's a list I put together in early 2006. I'm sure you have to inflate these prices somewhat. Some love the waverunners; we've never done them. We tend to like sailing and snorkeling excursions. Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected].

Huahine: Lagoon Cruise and snorkeling ($72)
Cultural Highlights includes Vanilla plantation ($64)
Huahine Safari Expedition ($79)

Raiatea: Classical sailing tour on the Agaleion, which was built in 1969 by an Italian baroness who wanted to have a sailboat that could participate in races ($119)
Anapa Pearl farm ($95)
Pearl farm and snorkeling ($69)
Raitea Lagoon and Snorkeling ($85)

Rangiroa: Pearl Farm ($35)
Drift Snorkeling ($59)
Snorkeling Rangiroa’s “Aquarium” ($52)

Bora Bora: Blue Lagoon Escapade Concierge Choice(snorkeling, champagne, etc.) ($92)
Coral Preservation and snorkeling program ($85)
Lagoon Sail and Swim by Catamaran ($119)
Land and Sea Safari with snorkeling ($89) (we did this, I’m pretty sure)
Waverunner ($245)
Shark and Ray feeding ($79) (we did)
Aqua Safari ($79) (30 min. underwater walk with dive helmet)
Sunset sail by catamaran on the Taaroa, a 40-foot sport catamaran. Sailing to the western part of the lagoon (very casual) ($65)

Taha’a: Exploration of Taha’a (Vanilla plantation and black pearl farm) ($67)

Moorea: Dolphin Watching Expedition ($95)
Capture Moorea photo adventure ($125)
Sunset Sail aboard the “Margouillat” ($79) (pretty sure this is the one we did)
Lagoon discovery and snorkeling ($69) (motor boat I think)
Waverunner ($189)
Aquablue Underwater Walk ($79)
Botanical and Agricultural Walk ($75)
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so very much, Dreps, for taking the time to reply with such a comprehensive list and prices too!
This is so helpful and what you said about someone not showing up,canceling or a change in the ships itinerary due to weather or something so we can't make the excursion date & time we've booked are the things that concerned me about making our own arrangements for excursions.
We love snorkeling and my husband grew up sailing so those excursions will be at the top of our list.
I will discuss these options with my husband and see what the total$$ may be for what we'd like to do. Do you remember if you were able to do more than one excursion a day, for example snorkeling in AM and sailing in PM?
Do you remember if any excursions were full so you couldn't do something you wanted? We're trying to decide whether we'ii need to telephone & book our "most wanted" ones ahead of time rather than wait until we are aboard.
Thanks also for including your email as I'm sure we will have further questions.
You've been a tremendous help to us already!
Thank you,
Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM

You can definitely do more than one excursion on some days. In general, most excursions were not booked that heavily, though some of the sailing excursions only took a handful of people. The Dolphin Watching Expedition is usually very popular, and it seems Dr. Poole is still doing it. I have a long review of our last PG trip, so feel free to request it from me. Regent finally was able to get their Web site running yesterday for booking excursions. I always book ahead of time because their policy allowed you to cancel without penalty if you gave notice 24 hours in advance. Assuming that policy is still in force, I'd book anything you're interested in. My understanding is that now you pay for excursions up front, however. When you sign up, it will have the times -- at least AM vs. PM and the duration, so you can plan accordingly. I think you can book 120 days out.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Dreps, I read on Cruise Critic reviews that the Sunset sail often sells out. I will check the Regent site today.
I sent you an eamil with a couple of other questions,but I don't think I had your correct email address.
Anyway,we'd like to read your trip report if you don't mind posting the link or emailing it to [email protected] .
Carol
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM

carol, i too have been searching for the info on excursions. i am going on may 9th and staying two nights before at the radisson plaza. i called regent and they said they will not have their website running for may, and to contact my travel agent for the information and a work sheet to fill out. this seems to be a bit frustrating. we are in cabin 429. did not go originally for the balcony. we booked this in august. i tried for an upgrade now but my agent said the balcony cabins were sold out. if you get any info on excursions, please pass along.
thanks,
cindy