Europe River Cruising - Viking vs. Uniworld

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which company would you use, Viking River Cruises or Uniworld, to tour mid/eastern Europe? Any tips, whether positive or negative regarding the 2 cruise lines? They both seem to have very similar routes and include quite a few excursions. How is the food, the tours, state rooms etc.? As a whole, the internet and other online sources and magazines say they both rate well, any comments?
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM

You might also want to take a look at AMA Waterways:

http://www.amawaterways.com/

We went on one of their Christmas Market cruises last December. We were extremely pleased with all facets of the cruise.
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I actually have checked out AMA Waterways, along with Avalon Waterways, Peter Deilmann and SeaCloud, along with Uniworld and Viking. We're looking for an array of shore excursions that are available, food that takes into consideration different diets, i.e., vegetarian etc., comfortable staterooms that make you "want" to stay in your room if you'd like and a decent sized bathroom, definately picture windows/sliders and/or a balcony. No frills entertainment is just fine, as the canal stops are the focal points.

Also, pleasant on-board staff relations is a plus too.

Tips and advice...please...THX
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM

We have done Amsterdam-Budapest and the next year Bucharest-Budapest with Tauck and it was fantastic, start to finish. Viking and Uniworld are both superb also, can't go wrong with any of them.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM

ANy other thoughts?
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM

I sailed w/ Uniworld, Amsterdam to Antwerp and was very very pleased!!! Wonderful food, nice cabins, and a great crew! I will use them again!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM

My husband,6 friends, and I have just returned from Uniworld's cruise of Provence and Burgundy. We couldn't be more pleased. A coffee station available 24 hours a day, free internet, free wine at dinner, free use of their bicycles-all added to our enjoyment. We can't wait to cruise again.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Thanks Janet - I might be travelling with my elderly dad and a sibling. which ship were you on? My dad is no longer allowed to drink would that be difficult on the cruise?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM

spidycat - I've not been on a Viking or Uniworld cruise so take this with a grain of salt. I've been reading on 'cruisecritic.com' a lot of complaints about Viking. Poor food quality, use of sun deck restricted, possible financial concerns and other issues seem to pop up regularly. Check out the web site on your own.

My DW and I will be going on an Avalon river cruise next year. With Avalon you don't have to pay the entire balance in order to get promotions and wine is gratis at dinner. I've read nothing but good things about avalon.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM

yeadonite-We sailed on Uniworld's River Royale. We enjoyed everything about it-the sun deck, the lounge, all the meals. Our cabin was approximately 151 sq. feet. All of the cabins are the same size except, of course, the suites. No one is forced to drink the wine. Two people in our group are diabetics. So they simply declined the offer of beer or wine. Soft drinks, coffee, and tea are available.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM

janetbourque - Thanks for that information. I need a vacation and really want to do the cruise he is unsure. What did people do at night.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 06:44 AM

yeadonite-The River Royale has a lovely lounge surrounded by windows. Most nights there was a piano player. Two nights singers performed. Sometimes we walked into the town or sat outside on the sun deck. Another night there was a trivia contest. Everything was rather low key- certainly no Las Vegas type shows, but that's the way we like it.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Our group of 12 friends went on Uniworld's River Beatrice from Passau to Budapest (with a 3-day Prague pre-cruise stay), and I could not find fault. The boat was always in pristine condition, they use an Asian staff, meaning impeccable service, and the food was just to die for. They really go out of their way to make you feel at home. Some in our party had medical issues and the managers were at their beck and call all day, buying meds, arranging doctors etc. Could not recommend them highly enough
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM

We're also looking into booking a European river cruise on either Viking or Uniworld so I, too, would appreciate information about the pros and cons of each.

Yeadonite, you said that your dad is elderly, but you did not mention his health. Since the European itineraries include a lot of walking, he is probably in fine shape. Just in case that's not true and he has trouble with stairs, you might want to be aware that at least of the Uniworld ships do not have elevators.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM

that should have read "...at least SOME of the Uniworld ships do not have elevators." Sorry.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 04:25 AM

The River Beatrice has elevators. There is walking, but not extensive.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I've been on several Viking Cruises and I must say I have been please with every single one of them. All of the staff speak English very well and were extremely helpful, the excursions were all included (there were a few optional ones available as well), the ships are well maintained and the food was splendid. I have been on other river cruise lines before but I would say Viking has provided the most memorable experience for my wife and me.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks MelodyeE and madalinahk and everyone else. I have 2 days to decide!!! I might just take art to PAris - dont know yet!
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM

We've cruised with Uniworld and this year, with Avalon. We thought the boat was definitely better than Uniworld's. Great service from the crew, good food, 24 hour coffee/tea service, free wine or beer with dinner. The excursions, both included and optional, were good.
We paid extra to have a cabin with french balcony windows and were really pleased that we did so.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 05:34 AM

marg where did you go on uni and avalon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -