Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing on Tall Ship

Feb 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Hello. I'm 27 and planning a trans Atlantic crossing in 2011. I live in London but could find myself to any port in Europe, as necessary. I plan to find passage on a tall ship to either North or South America - I don't mind where.

In 2005 I took a trip from Tilbury (just outside London) to Buenos Aires on a cargo ship but this time I would really like to go by some form of sail ship. If anyone has any advise it would be very much appriciated.

Thanks,
Laurence
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM

A tall ship just sunk in rough sea about 550Km east of Rio today (Feb 19). Brazilian navy quick responsed recused all 64 on board. This is a relatively new and modern 3 mast tall ship. Are you sure you want to do this?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...102/story.html
Feb 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
JP

Star Clippers ( http://www.starclippers.com/ ) do transatlantics each year. They are real sailing ships, but modern and with all safety features.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM

I think he is looking for an adventure rather than traveling in luxury (and $$$) and pampered on an exclusive (expensive) modern sailing ship ....

The ship that sank was a modern tall ship as well. it was part of the group of ships for the learning at sea program and have all the modern facilities.

The storm damaged the ship, it was listing and all evacuated to life boats and the ship sank soon after. They were on the life boats for 2 days before the rescurers got there.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello, thank you both for the replies.

I'd taken a look at Star Clippers and it is quite right that it is expensive but I'm not ruling it out. Something to work towards but if that's the best option then that's what I'll aim for.

Previously I've been on a cargo ship (about £1200 Tilbury(London)-Buenos Aires). That was amazing. And I found my way back on a NCL cruise that was the cheapest option back home ($449!) excellent price but they put on way too much 'entertainment' and it's way too busy to compare to the long journey on a cargo ship.

Regarding what I'm looking for, environmentally friendly travel and shipping is the top goal. Adventure is a wonderful bonus.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Also thanks for the news about the Concordia. It was February (2005)when I got to Rio with the cargo ship. We had the biggest storm I have ever experienced right when we were trying to navigate out of the port. Fantastic!

Learning to sail is something I would love to do but hadn't actually considered. Considering how much I'm thinking of spending on journeying back and forth the Atlantic over my life perhaps I could invest in learning to make myself useful whilst aboard. How does one go about it?