*** Dog sledding vs. Helicopter ride ***

Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

*** Dog sledding vs. Helicopter ride ***

Have you done both? Heard from others? Read a post that dog sledding is fun but $300 p.p. and poster thought helicopter ride to walk on glacier was less money and just as fun, if not more.

This poster said helicopter rides are varied- less expensive bring you to lower elevation (that's ok with me if I just get to walk on glacier) and to top of glacier you'd be outfitted in their clothes for hiking top. Any thoughts- thanks.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:16 PM

Did the helicopter and it was amazing (not only do u walk on a glacier, but when is the next time you'll ride in a helicopter).

I consider that one of my "once in a lifetime" excursion.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

hotel--- Where did you take your helicopter ride? Get to top and walk around? Cost? Any info. is appreciated.
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:51 AM

The glacier was MendenHall glacier and it was while cruising on RCCL's Majesty of the Seas... if i recall correctly, it was the first port we stopped at.

I don't remember the cost as it was a <very nice and generous> gift from my in-laws. I THINK it was about $175 (2 years ago) but i could be off by a decent margin.

You go up in the helicopter (each holds 5 or 6) and they tell you a little about the glacier while you're in the air and point out a few things. Then they land and give you some more info about the glaciers and point out a few things. There's no hiking or anything like that, but they give you time to walk around and take pictures.

I do have quite a few pics from the expeirience, if you'd like me to email them post your email and i'll send them to you (anybody else is free to post their email as well if they'd like them)
Mar 5th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

HOTEL- Yes, thank you,and it is very kind of you to offer to others. My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Do you recall if this was a cruise excursion or something your family did indepentently? Recall name of helicopter outfit?
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:29 PM

I don't recall the name of the outfit, but it was booked thru RCCL's excursion desk and i believe they are the only company that does this on Mendenhall Glacier. I seem to recall that there is another helicopter offering to a glacier later in the trip and the poeple that did that one weren't as "wow'd" about the whole experience as those that went to Mendenhall (i don't think the other trip actually involves getting out and walking around).

I'm on a long weekend vacation right now, i'm pretty certain i have the pics on this computer, but i have to make sure i have the ability to zip them. Also, i'm no a dial-up, but if all goes well i'll get them to you in the next 24 hours. If my (old) laptop doesn't have the pics or doesn't have a zip program on it anymore, i'll email you wehn i get back.
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Hotel. Send whenever and my AOL system likes JPEG endings, I can't seem to open any others. Enjoy your time off.

You were lucky you were not fogged or rained upon for your trip to be cancelled. Just read postings from another board and the advise was to book in two differnt places- Juneau, supposedly the best for your reasons sited and I think it was Skagway. Only problem is if you do one of them, you must pay the other's cancellation fee! Paying more from boat may be best as they have guarantees. That I need to find out more about.
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I also did the helicopter tour and thought it was one of the highlights of my trip. You get a completely different persepctive of the glacier than you do from the ship. My tour landed twice - once on the glacier and once on the ice field. I booked through Temsco in Juneau. Fortunately, the weather that day was spectacular. We were in shirtsleeves it was so warm.
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:45 PM

ciaodeb,

sent the email, if you don't receive or have any problems with the attachments, let me know