Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > DO NOT BOOK THIS ROOM!.....Thread to register BAD cabins.

DO NOT BOOK THIS ROOM!.....Thread to register BAD cabins.

Oct 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

DO NOT BOOK THIS ROOM!.....Thread to register BAD cabins.

I have seen a similar thread on another independent forums and thought FODOR's could use their own version:

Is there a room in a cruise line you definitely would NOT recommend people stay?

I'll start the list:

-Carnival Liberty Room 8434 (NEVER pick a cabin under the pool area nor the Kitchens).

- Celebrity Century Room 1026 (see rationale above).
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:02 AM

There has been many discussion around here on selecting a cabinand what to avoid.

Almsot all of the bad rooms have the same common problems. A good TA will help you avoid the "bad" cabins.

Ususally, the cheaper the cabin category, the better the chance of picking a bad one. You get what you pay for.

Oct 10th, 2008, 05:01 AM

"Ususally, the cheaper the cabin category, the better the chance of picking a bad one. You get what you pay for"

Cheaper does not necessarily always mean bad. Usually, the lower the deck, the lower the cost. If you get sea sick it is best to be low in the mid ship area. The cabins in the same catagory [Ocean view, deluxe OV, inside, etc ]are usually the same size as a higher level. You are paying less because it is lower.

A good rule of thumb is not to pick a cabin under the theater, pool or other public areas or near the laundry.

We like to have a cabin sandwiched between passenger decks.Some people prefer to stay away from the elevators and stairs but we have had cabins in that location without any noise problem.

Look at the deck plans and you will get a good idea of where you are booking. Don't take anybody's word you are getting a great location. Look for yourself.
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM

And then there are times you decide to splurge and get a balcony and pick what you think is a great cabin. And the people in the cabin forward of you fight like cats and dogs, slam the sliding door constantly, and smoke so much that you can't keep your door open or sit on your balcony. And the cabin aft is populated by a crazy woman. But it was still better than staying home.
Oct 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM

I made a generalization. I had an earlier post quite a few montsh back regarding picking a cabin.

Lower deck does not mean cheaper.
On the new Princess Mega Ships, the higher priced ocean view cabins are on deck 5 (Plaza).

With that said, the lower priced cabins are usually near public areas, under the disco or the show room, obstructed views etc.

cabins to avoid: near outside doors (they get slammed), near the smoke stack (where there should be an elevator but not on the floor plan) With the new sound isolation, it is becoming less of a problem.
Oct 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Obstructed views or partially obstructed views, watch out.

I booked a cabin and paid extra for an outside view and did not look at where the cabin was closely. We got a room with a window that all you saw was the lifeboats.

So check the floor plans, every ship has an outside walk around decks, a promonade. The outer cabins on this desk and the ones on the deck just above the promonade deck usually are obstructed.Do not spend extra for these cabins.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM

My mantra is.... nothing above me except cabins and nothing below me...and midship..lol..
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:16 AM

I had a cabin with obstructed view, luckily the boat outside had windows, so we could see, but it was like through a monocular through 3 windows: cabin window and 2 of the boat.

It was not so bad, we had some views, daylight, and outside connection. If the price is right, I would do it again. Unobstructed view cabins were too expensive for our taste
Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM

Some of the lifeboats are half height (they look smaller on the deck plan) you can actually look over top of the life boat on your windows and has a real view.
Some cabins are located in between life boats and and you can still have a view.
To get those cabins, you've got to book early and lock in the cabin while it is avalable and not wait for an assignment.
Nov 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Hi, My husband and I just got back from a cruise on the Grand Princess. We got an upgraded room which was A339 and it was under the grill/pool/ and outside movie. We did not get much sleep at all. Lots of noise from chairs being pushed around, people walking and the noise from the movies. It was a nightmare. We are platiumn members and thats what Pincess gave us. Now we will never trust an upgrade again. Also the ship hit something in very bad seas coming back to Rome and most people missed their flights home. We were supposed to be in Port by 6am and did not get there till 2pm. Trying to get off the ship was mass confusion. Princess did not handle this well. I could say much more, but this really only started out on bad rooms.Thanks for listening.
Nov 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Not all ships have obstructed cabins. If it important to look over the deck layouts and determine what is above and below and if it is obstructed.

Search this Thread