Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Do Cruises offer Sunday Worship Services?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Donna

Carol's post about her Xmas Cruise on the Summit got me to thinking. Do cruises provide for Sunday morning worship services or do you have to find a church in port if you are so inclined?<BR><BR>Just a general FYI question I suppose. Not even sure if people think of going to church while on vacation. Since Christmas is such a huge religious holiday for my family, missing Midnight Mass would not be an option.<BR><BR>Wondering if anyone out there knows.<BR><BR>Donna<BR><BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Lenore

I'm not at all religious, but have noticed on many occassions morning services listed on the ship's daily itinerary.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Fanci

Donna, I think all cruises more than seven days have scheduled worship services although they might not be offered on Sunday morning if disembarkation is in process. As far as I know, there is always a priest onboard and quite possibly, a Protestant clergyman, too. <BR><BR>Re Midnight Mass at Christmas: I once took a Christmas-New Year's cruise and I recall Midnight Mass mass was celebrated.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 03:48 PM
ashuma

You didn't mention your religion, but our Amsterdam cruise had daily Catholic Mass. I know a Rabbi was also on board as we had a special non-denominational memorial service on September 11 and both the priest amd rabbi were there.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Anna

On the Carnival Paradise no services were offered. I asked Carnival if they ever had services on ships and they said Christmas, Easter, and occasionally when there is a priest on board. We found a lovely church in Ft. Lauderdale that seemed to attract a lot of tourists. Can't remember the name. catholics can go to www.masstimes.org to find a church and mass times anywhere in the country. There was an 800 number too but they're making it a toll call now due to lack of funding.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Sherri

Donna, last year we travelled HAL aboard the Volendam. They definitely had Catholic Services as our tablemates both attended.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:02 PM
gladys

There are religious services on every ship. I remember one year we were on a HAL ship during Hanukah and the staff had a candle lighting service every night.