Christmas cruise?

May 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Christmas cruise?

I am considering doing a short Caribbean (or Mexican)Cruise over Christmas Day with my 11 year old son.

Do any of the cruise lines do a better job making Christmas Day special while at sea? I am on a moderate budget; which is why I'm also considering Mexico since I wouldn't have to fly there, I could drive to the port...

Thanks in advance for your help!
May 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM

My experience with Christmas Cruises and even resorts is that they downplay the holiday. Many people (read: non-Christians) take a holiday from the seasonal celebration and Santa Claus. Carnival Cruises might offer the best game plan for an 11 yr. old. Or Disney Cruises. Check out their websites - they may have more specific info about how they celebrate the holiday. You might also find cheaper prices in early December when cruise passengers are home preparing for the holiday instead of being on the ships. We've gotten great deals from Thanksgiving to the week before Christmas. We put our tree up before we leave and come home for the holiday with lots of stories to tell.
May 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM

We've taken several Christmas cruises. Prices on both cruises and at resorts are almost double during Christmas week.
That being said, any cruise we've taken had "Santa" arrive on Christmas Eve and had the ship fully decorated for Christmas.
May 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM

right Schmerl - that's why suggested BEFORE Christmas. Once high season hits the week before Christmas, prices are doubled and stay there through U.S. Presidents Week/ Spring Break. It would be best to check with the cruise line(s) to see what holiday festivities they do offer. What cruise line(s) did you take that had the decor and Santa? That info might help the poster find the right cruise co.
May 7th, 2008, 05:26 PM

We experienced Christmas festivities on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian cruise lines.
May 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.

I cruised on Disney before Christmas a couple years ago and it was wonderful; but I was thinking of cruising FOR Christmas this year or at least taking a trip and I thought being on a cruise ship on the actual Christmas Day might be a little more festive than being in a hotel room.

Anyone have a good Christmas trip with their tween child they can recommend?

Search this Thread