Search

taxi or tour?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taxi or tour?

Our family of 5 (3 kids...11,9,4) just booked a last minute cruise on Monarch of the Seas for the April 6th sailing. I would love to hear from y'all about taking a taxi to Dunn's Fall River (Ocho Rios) vs. an organized tour. I have heard of Peat Taylor's but want to know if the price is worth it vs. going alone.<BR><BR>Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:04 PM

My daughter is on the cruise staff for Monarch of the Seas. Next time she calls me I will ask her if she has any recommendations. I'm sure there are many others who will have lots of info for you.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...we sail on the April 5th. Any messages for her?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:14 AM

My daughter says that you should get a guide, whether it is the excursion the Monarch offers or another one. She did it without a guide but the kids would enjoy it more and have an easier time with a guide. The excursion offered by the Monarch probably has additional things added on that the kids might like but if you want to just do the falls and then go on your own try the taxi private guide route. Hope that helps. Her name is Anne and she is Cruise Staff (blonde). So you can say hi!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Jamaica can be a dangerous place. There are people who will very aggressivily try to get you to buy just about anything from them, including drugs. Also beware of gypsy cabs, only use those that are government regulated and clearly marked as so. We enjoyed our trip there, it is a beautiful place and the climb was fantastic, but we were glad we booked the Dunn's River Falls tour through the ship,the tour is usually combined with another destination, such as a plantation tour,the botanical gardens or a catamaran party boat cruise.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:55 PM

I definitely recommend Peat Taylor. I have taken both ship tours, taxi tours, and Peat. I got the most from my tour with Peat Taylor and he takes you to the Falls before they are too crowded. His tour afterwards was very interesting, plus he makes a brief shopping stop. His price is very reasonable and to do the same on a ships tour would be much more. I think with small kids I would go with Peat Taylor. I have never had a problem in Jamaica, but there are some unreputable cab drivers out there and you don't want to have to hassle with them with small kids in tow.