Disney Mediterrean cruise

Jan 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Disney Mediterrean cruise

Please give me your advice, am I crazy if I go on a seven night mediterrean cruise with three children aged 11, 6, and 3. I wonder if the excursions are too much compared to a caribbean cruise? I have never been on a cruise and would like to try one with disney, should I go caribbean and stay on beaches or go to the mediterrean and see the sights? thanks for your input.
Jan 31st, 2011, 05:03 AM

Have done both prefer the Med cruise experience.

Desintations are far more culturally interesting for adults.

Disney will provide plenty for kids.

There is a lot of sameness to the Carib destinations

far more variety in the Med destinations for me.

Have done Princess NCL there not Disney but should be good

although pricier than most.

www.cruisecritic.com ship reviews.

Have fun,
Jan 31st, 2011, 04:03 PM

I can't quite imagine a Mediterranean cruise - Disney or not- with kids under college age. When ours were that age any vacation that didn't involve beaches and boardwalks was severe and unusual punishment. Cruises are for grown ups and the Med is for those who have a taste for history and art.
Feb 1st, 2011, 02:53 PM

My suggestion fir the children: go caribbean and stay on beaches.

The excursion in Europe typically involve a bit of a longer travel distance (bus ride) from port and I am not sure how the 3 year old will handle it.

Disney would be great for kids, especially if the kids like the cartoon characters. But they charge you a premium for that. Most mass market ships offer decent kid or teen programs.

For a first time cruiser, a western caribbean 7 days would be an ideal starting point. The 3 kids would have a lot of fun. We took our kids on a cruise when they were a young teen and a "tween". We did not put them in the teen program and they had a blast.
Feb 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM

We've taken 2 Disney cruises. My daughter was 4 and 5 She had a blast both times. I can't speak highly enough about the experience. We also cruised with RCI which was not as positive especially with a young child. You will not be disappointed. I would stick to the Caribbean with young children, although Disney does age appropriate programing on all their cruises.
Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM

Depending on the children, they can either learn a lot about new cultures and history (mine were able to learn at 6, or earlier) - or they will complain that everything is different, and they just want to stay on the beach.

It all depends if you want a learning or relaxing vacation for them.