Dinner attire?

Oct 26th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Dinner attire?

I haven't been on a cruise in almost 15 years! Way back when...we 'dressed' for the evening meal. I read that 'shorts' are still not appropriate, but does this apply to nice outfits with longer 'shorts' (silk/ linen) for ladies? These are not something I would wear as casual beach/shopping attire. Thanks )
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:54 AM

The no shorts thingy is for men only because of their hairy legs.

You probably have nice looking legs, and I would think that a nice shorts outfit on casual nights would certainly be appropriate.
Oct 26th, 2003, 01:13 PM

I'd recommend checking with the cruise line you have chosen.

Some lines do not allow men or women to wear shorts in the nice dining room for the evening meal.
Oct 29th, 2003, 05:23 AM

I wish that the cruise lines really did enforce the dress policy that they create. I have been on 14 cruises and I have never once seen anyone turned away from the dining room because they wore shorts.

Granted, I did not stand at the door the entire time, but I have always seen some people at dinner wearing shorts or otherwise not properly dressed.

Regardless of whether you think that longer "shorts" might be appropriate, certainly no type of shorts are appropriate on a formal night.
Oct 29th, 2003, 06:42 AM

I agree, absolutely not on formal nights, but on casual nights when men are in polo shirts & slacks, it would be fine.
Oct 29th, 2003, 01:18 PM

I've witnessed passengers in shorts turned away from the dining room on several ocassions. However in each case the passengers were wearing shorter than knee length or very casual beach/gym type shorts. These were not tailored, linen Bermuda length shorts.
Dec 14th, 2003, 08:28 PM

HI.

My hubby/I have sailed on Carnival 4 times. We dressed in jeans and shorts for dinner and it was fine. I saw others dressed down also. I don't like being told what to wear. I paid good money and was on vacation. Wear what you want and have fun.