Search

Dietary Concern

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:02 PM
Looking to lose 40

Dietary Concern

I am on the atkins diet, No carbs and lots of fat, Can I get fatty food like beef and bacon at all 3 meals?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:04 PM
Absolutely

Sure and the have some Lipitor in the pharmacy too.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:06 PM
ltl

My qusetion was serious. I don't ned liposuction or whateever your hawking ya drruggie

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:14 PM
Nanette

I'll bet that you can, but think about it....<BR><BR>Why don't you stick to a rigid diet UNTIL the cruise, have a little fun as a reward, then hop back on the diet upon your return?<BR><BR>Reward yourself for weight lost prior to the cruise by blowing it for awhile!<BR><BR>If you insist, however, I know that you can get burgers and bacon all day.... BLTs via room service, bacon at the buffets or dining rooms, burgers at lunch, etc. (On Carnival, anyway). Happy dieting!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:21 PM
xxx

Lipitor is high blood pressure medication you fat moron!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:24 PM
Not So Fast

xxx<BR><BR>Lipitor is a statin drug which is used to lower cholesterol. It does nothing for high blood pressure.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Weight

Looking to Lose<BR><BR>Remember, it's not what you eat but how much you eat. The number of calories you burn off each day MUST exceed the number you take in in order to lose weight. You have to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound.<BR><BR>Simple math, hard to apply.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
xxx

High blood pressure, low cholesterol, at least I was closer than liposuction. I'm surprised some of these people are intelligent enough to log on their computers on a daily basis.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:30 PM
fatty

Dietary--- bring your own cooler full of chops,steaks, etc. Heck, bring your grille too. Maybe even sneak your George Foreman grille on board.<BR>Between what you bring and what you can get from the dining room, you can make out real well.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:32 PM
oinky

let's just hope fatty is flying Southwest!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:36 PM
ginger

Most of you are just pathetic!<BR><BR>Yes, you will be able to get all the Atkins stuff you need.<BR><BR>But I like the idea of jumping off the diet while on the cruise.<BR><BR>Tip- take the stairs whenever you can. First cruise, I gained 10 pounds. 2nd cruise, took the stairs everywhere, ate like a hog, and lost weight! Try to promise yourself that if it is 5 decks or closer, you will take the stairs.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:52 PM
Barbara

Just order a regular meal and eat the meat and veggies for dinner. Order two salads if you need the extra veggies. Eat the rest of your meals at the buffet and choose meat and veggies. I don't see it being much of a problem.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:02 PM
urdumb

Atkins diet is for fools. Eat healthy, go on Weight Watchers if you must. Remember, if you have a heart attack, gall bladder attack, kidney stones or other problems attributed to Atkins or other high-fat diets, it will be costly to be air-lifted from the cruise.Eat your 5 servings of veggies, 2 of grains, 8 ox of meat and have a few red wines. You'll be healthier and happier.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:18 PM
oprah

Don't you people watch the news? They just reported that the FDA might have to change the food pyramid guide because recent studies have shown that it is the carbs, not the fat that cause people's obesity. In a study of a group of people on a high fat diet, they were able to lose weight and their cholesterol level and blood pressure were normal. The FDA had been against the Atkins diet for decades now but then they realized that there is some validity to this diet. They don't advocate eliminating entirely the carbs but they also tell us to be more concerned with the amount of our carb intake as this has now more direct correlation to obesity.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:22 PM
duh

NO - it's not the GOOD carbs these idiots are eating. It's the Dinner rolls, white pasta, Cinnabons, Entemann's...blah blah. Look at the glycemic indexes. America is too lazy or stupid. Change the potatoes for lentils, beans, whole grains, brown rice. Oink Oink donut lovers- you are fat because you want to be

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
aaa

To Looking to Lose:<BR>YES-you can get beef and bacon at all 3 meals--<BR><BR>just tell the maitre d' you are on a special diet and also tell your waiter-<BR>all the menus-bkfst,lunch,dinner in the MAIN dining room have MEAT on them-<BR><BR>In the am you can get regular bacon or canadian bacon <BR><BR>At lunch you can get HAMBURGER<BR><BR>At Dinner you can get Steak or Roast beef--<BR><BR>So NO PROBLEM at all--

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Dave

I did adkins a few months before my last cruise. I lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks (From 186 to 171 lbs) and then I went on Carnival Cruise and ate whatever I wanted (not on Adkins).<BR><BR>Keep in mind to not switch from adkins to eating anything right before your cruise (it takes your body a few days to get used to it - during which time, you will be in the bathroom a lot).<BR><BR>But yes there is plenty of protein and meats and cheeses that you can still get less than 20 carbs per day, but you will not fully enjoy the dinners. You will probably be better off eating all meals up on the Lido deck.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:37 AM
Patty

While I'm not on the Atkins diet, I have done some research on it. The Atkins diet is about eating nutrient rich, unprocessed sources of fat primarily from fish, seeds, olive oil, etc. They do not advocate eating bacon 3 times a day! If you want to do it right, you will have to advise the cruise line of your special needs - i.e. no sugar or flour (found in most sauces and dressings). They're also against any type of hydrogenated oils/fats. Here are the guidelines for dining out:<BR><BR>http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/14-422873.html

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:47 AM
SNL Fan

Patty, you are joking right? Do you actually believe that you can tell the waiter at dinner that you are on the Atkins plan and explain it to him/her and expect them to go back in the kitchen and have some special chef prepare the food without the sauce or with different sauce?<BR><BR>Get real!<BR><BR>Like Dave said, you will probably not really be able to eat the dinners in the dining room.<BR><BR>There will be plenty of selection of meats (such as ham and sausage - not just bacon) but you can get bacon and eggs every morning.<BR><BR>But yes Atkins suggests avoiding the nitrates, but then again, so will any doctor, but that doesn't mean that you can't eat SOME nitrates.<BR><BR>Don't even try to ask for nitrate-free ham. <BR><BR>Patty, people might read your post and actually expect that their food will be prepared special. As Dana Carvey said (doing an impersonation of George Bush back in 1991) "Not gonna happen."

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:08 AM
Patty

SNL Fan,<BR>You're missing the point of my post which is that if Looking to lose is simply going to eat bacon and beef at all 3 meals, he's not really on the Atkins diet. And he might as well be eating whatever the ship offers. And guess what, your food can be prepared special. The cruise lines do it all the time and you have to request it 3 weeks in advance - diabetic, kosher, vegan, low salt, low fat, low cholestral, gluten free are among the many special diets that can be accomodated so why not ask for Atkins (you may have to give them a list of do's and don't)? I'm not saying you'll get nitrate free ham but requests within reason and with advance notice shouldn't be a problem.