Danube Water Level Intel??

Oct 13th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Danube Water Level Intel??

We are scheduled to begin a Danube River Cruise on 10/18/18 in Budapest and end in Passau 8 days later. I am having a heck of a time figuring out whether the water levels will permit us to remain on the ship (and spotty help from travel agent). Can anyone provide first hand reports? I purchased cancel for any reason insurance bc an expensive bus tour is not what I want. Thanks to anyone who can provide intel.
Oct 13th, 2018, 09:15 AM

You might want to post over on the Europe forum. It is much more active than this one and several Fodorites live in Germany and surrounding countries. Someone may have 'on-the-ground' knowledge
Oct 13th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tip!
Oct 19th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Have you called the company? They and only THEY are going to decide whether or not you will be cruising despite what locals might "think." The problem we have encountered with this issue, and it seems to resurface periodically, is that the cruise lines do not often say anything in advance. Some have reported that after they arrived, then the cruise line announced the unpleasant news about using buses, etc.
Oct 19th, 2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dukey1 View Post
Have you called the company? They and only THEY are going to decide whether or not you will be cruising despite what locals might "think." The problem we have encountered with this issue, and it seems to resurface periodically, is that the cruise lines do not often say anything in advance. Some have reported that after they arrived, then the cruise line announced the unpleasant news about using buses, etc.

That is why someone on the ground in Budapest or Passau (and there are local Fodorites) may know the actual situation -- especially since as you admit, the cruise line may not be forthcoming. Also a good idea to check on Cruise Critic because they often have real time info . . .
Oct 23rd, 2018, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Avalon Waterways drastically changed the cruise (1 1/2 days prior to departure) due to low water in Budapest and changed two city stops to lesser cities, left us moored rather than sailing in Passau for 3 days, then deleted Nuremberg althogefher requiring a quite longer bus ride to our journey to Prague. Despite this they did not offer the option to cancel, which is appalling given the price. I purchased cancel for any reason insurance and executed on it. I am hoping that the drought causing this will allow me to receive a refund by money rather than voucher because needless to say I am not enthralled with Avalon. I suggest others choose Tauck rather than Avalon. Although a bit more costly, I believe that line is more ethical when they change a tour to something not resembling what was purchased. In any case, cancel for any reason insurance is a must.

Search this Thread