Cruising with children

Search

Cruising with children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruising with children

Can anyone tell me about cruising with children, ages 5 & 2?
Am considering either Royal Caribbean or Disney. I would prefer not
to go on a ship like Disney that's all a theme, but would love to hear any advice
from people who have done this on any cruise line & what you would do differently
or the same.

thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM

I'd suggest that you read both the RCCL and Family boards at www.cruisecritic.com They are a wealth of information.

A couple of issues I have seen discussed are: the lower age limit for attending the children's programming and for using the pool.

For our family, cruising with children of that age wouldn't have been enjoyable. Our younger one would have still been napping, and they both went to bed at 7:30--but I sure wouldn't have wanted to be confined to a cabin for naps and an early bedtime. But your family situation may be very different.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM

Most of the ships have activities for the kids. But, I believe it's 3 years and up. At least that was the way it was when we first cruised RCCL with our 2 year old and 4 year old. Have taken the kids (8 and 5 years old) on 2 cruises each on both RCCL and Princess. The both have great activities for the kids, but the kids had more fun on RCCL. Taking NCL on March 22nd and we'll see how it compares.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM

Just off RCCL with my 15 yr ols. They do an amazing job with kids! I do think your experience will be better when the youngest is 4 or 5. They have babysitting, but young ones are often clingy and want parents most of the time.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM

For 5 and 2. It's a no brainer. Disney. Carinval is for "older kids". There are more wholesome enterainment on Disney and they run better kids programs.
We have our kids with us on a Carnival cruise in 2001.
They are older than your kids at the time. My older son's treasured picture from the cruise was his picture with an entertainer, a scanty clad Vegas Show Girl.
Would you like your 5 and 2 year old's picture taken with them or with Donald Pluto and Mickey?