Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

cruise from seattle to alaska with two year old

Jul 6th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip to Alaska in late Aug. or early September with his 65+ parents and our two year old son. I need advice as to which cruiseline is friendliest to a non-potty trained two year old. We are limiting our search to lines that leave from and return to Seattle, so that would be: Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Princess, and Royal Caribbean.

Also, any advice for a first-timer for cruising and going to Alaska would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jul 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Only Carnival will change diapers. Otherwise, the opportunities for non-trained toddlers are pretty limited. I think most of the lines accommodate young toddlers, but they will give the parents a beeper to come and change diapers.
Jul 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Unfortunately, Carnival isn't one of ones going out of Seattle.

Also, let me clarify...I'm not planning to drop him off and leave him with anyone...I'm interested in which line might have the most options for a non-potty trained two year old...a pool he can use, playroom he can use with me, etc. And if any of the lines have better room service or food I can take to the room than others, since he isn't great in a restaurant right now.

Thanks again!
Jul 7th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Sorry, there aren't going to be ANY pools he can use, think about it- would you want to swim in "water" contaminated with urine from a non potty trained toddler???

Are you considering a high end suite?? Those allow the most meal options with in room dining. Otherwise the run of the mill room service is a very limited menu.

You can get "take out" on most cruiselines. Be sure to tip your room steward extra for cleaning up food after you and returning the plates etc.

All cruiselines have play rooms. Most do not have any programs or drop offs for 2 year olds.
Jul 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas all have special pools where non-toilet-trained toddlers can go in swim diapers, as do all Disney ships. I don't think any of these ships sail to Alaska.

All the lines will offer occasional baby-sitting (for a fee) to give parents a chance to get away from the kids for a few hours for a nice adult dinner.

All the ships have room service, but I think NCL, Princess, or Royal Caribbean would be more toddler-friendly since there are more families aboard these ships.

But limiting yourself to this itinerary certainly limits your options.
Jul 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Vacationing with non-potty trained toddler would be a challenge at best of time. It would be even more challenging at a cruise ship. What happens if the toddler needs a change during a shore excusrion? Unless you are limiting yourself to some type of non-activity, shore excusrion will be a challenge.

If you are prepared to make a sacrifies, get food from buffet or room service or burger and pizza place; tip the room steward extra, to clean up the room; limit yourself to a very limited type of activity .....

There was a post earlier (months ago) with a simialr situation and the person making the post commenting that the rest of the people is taking a vacation, she is looking after the kid so that everyone else can enjoy as it is a sepcial occassion for the grandparents. If you are willing to do that, all the power to you.

Almsot all the ships has kids program but not necessary for a 2 year old. You are really better off to wait a year or 2 or maybe go Disney.