Cruise for Hesitant Husband

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love traveling and would like my husband to experience many of the different sites that I've experienced. I think he would be in culture shock visiting Europe. He doesn't speak another language. We've been on many cruises and I thought this might be the way to go since he would be in a familar surrounding each night. Any advice?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I like the idea of a cruise to get a taste of Europe, and I think it's a great compromise for someone who's not too adventurous. The food onboard will be familiar, as will the language. He can explore the European ports as much (or as little as he desires) and still get a feel for the different cultures. You might be able to hire English-speaking guides to show him all the beautiful & historic sights. Hopefully, from this experience,he won't feel timid about going back someday on an extended land trip...
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input and the idea about a guide. I think it might be a good taste of Europe and perhaps he'll want to return to certain spots.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Actually we did fine with English on our Med. cruise. We visited Villefranche, three ports in Italy and Malta and language was not a problem. I'm not certain about other European destinatiions such as the Baltic or the eastern Med. Good luck.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:03 PM

My husband and I did an Alaskan cruise in 2004 and it was fantastic, awesome scenery, always something to see.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:48 AM

European cruises on lines that cater to American passengers might be the way to go. The Danube cruises give you a good taste of another country without being threatening.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM

How about breaking him in by visiting a European country where English is spoken? You can start him out visiting England or Ireland where there are interesting sites and cultural differences, but without a (great) language barrier. If you go to England, you might even consider going through the chunnel to visit Paris for a day and see how that works for him.

However, if you do decide the cruising route, I might suggest an itinerary that brings you to a lesser number of countries so it is not too overwhelming.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

I like the idea of visiting Ireland and England. i think he would enjoy those countries and be willing to go elsewhere at a later time. Thanks!