Cruise for 10-year anniversary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I need some help. We are starting to plan a trip to celebrate our ten-year wedding anniversary which will take place in October 2008. The one idea we had was to take a cruise since we took a cruise for our honeymoon back in October 1998. The cruise was to the Eastern Caribbean and the cruise was with Carnival. We have been on two cruises since: November-December 1999 to the Western Caribbean(Carnival) and this past May back to the Eastern Caribbean on Princess. We have a few questions:
1) How does Royal Caribbean compare to Carnival & Princess?
2) Since the cruise will be a special occasion, should we splurge for a balcony and out of the three cruises I mentioned above, which one has the best balcony stateroom?
3) Finally, has anyone cruised to Hawaii or Mexico on the above cruise lines? My wife & I want to cruise somewhere beside the Caribbean and we would like some recommendations.
I appreciate any advice anyone can give as since it is for a special occasion, I would like to try to pick the most enjoyable cruise possible based on the options I have stated above.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Do I need to repost this with another title or did I ask too many questions for a trip so far in advance? Please help.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Sorry I can't help. This is a slow moving forum I'm afraid!
Anyone out there????
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM
katybird

Sorry, I do not have any answers for you but if you go to cruisecritic.com you will find loads of information.It is a very active site.
Alaska would be an exciting cruise but not in your timeframe of Oct.
Good luck!

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:50 AM

The water is Mexico is less pretty compared to the Caribbean. I personally didn't like the Mexico cruise as much.

Royal Caribbean is more vibrant compared to Princess. The colors are stronger and it is a more active ship. I personally like the calm and relaxing colors and atmosphere of Princess.

I also would recommend Cruise Critic.

The balcony cabins - it depends on the line and the ship. Each ship can be different. Yes, splurge for a balcony.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Mexico does not begin to compare to the beauty of the Caribben, in terms of water, beaches, dining, etc.

Also, the vendors are obnoxious. Forget relaxing on the beach, even one you pay extra for as we did as Nikki Beach (45per person). It was incredbily annoying.

If I never go back, I will be happy.

as for Hawaii, your only choice is NCL unless you go for 12-15 days. I do not care for NCL so that would not work for me and would rather stay there than hop around, though I find Hawaii overrated and prefer the BVI and other parts of the Caribbean.

As for cruise lines, I would say RCI and Princess are pretty comparable and Carnival is more casual all the way around. Not a fan of their ships or food and please check out the size versus capacity as one of my worst ever cruises was on Glory, a newer Carnival ship where we were smushed together in every public area. AWFUL.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:58 PM

spb,
You have plenty of time to research your trip. Don't worry! Go to cruisecritic.com and they will give you some info to chew on for a while. I assume, since you have been married 20 years soon, that you are middle-aged, right? My husband and I cruise often and here is what we have found. Carnival, if traveled the right time of the year, can be a good value and they do a good job. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the naysayers about the food. It is all to one's tastes. I found Carnival very acceptable.
We have traveled with Holland America, the food was also acceptable but the entertainment was low key. If you don't need razzle dazzle, then HAL is a good company. Royal Caribbean is very nice too. I would enlist the help of a travel agent who will take all of your wants and desires into account and help you book an appropriate cruise for your anniversary. Ever thought of trying a European cruise? If you are planning for October, that is hurricane season in the Caribbean and can effect the ports of departure. Try Europe for something special! My husband and I are off to Venice in November this year to sail on the RCCL Splendor of the Seas. If you're interested, email me in December and I'll give you the thumbs up or down. What can be so bad about sailing out of Venice?????
Romantic for an anniversary and you have a good year + to save for the added expense.
Cheers!