Crossing

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Bobbie

Crossing

We have taken several Transatlantic cruises (West to East) and always in the Spring. We have now booked one for late October - 2 weeks on the new Celebrity Constellation, crossing from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. Can anyone tell me if they have crossed at that time of year and if we should expect rough seas? Thanks.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:30 AM
bobbie

I didn't get one reply. Hasn't anyone been on crossing from Europe to Florida in the Fall?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:33 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Bobbie,

I imagine many passengers have sailed the Atlantic in the fall but your question is rather vague. It is difficult to give a definite answer. I have sailed the Atlantic in the fall (and in the spring and in the summer). I experienced very rough seas during one spring crossing.

Who's to say. When you are in any major ocean you always have the chance of running into a gale. It is simply called bad luck.

If your question concerns hurricanes ..... the captain will not sail into one but will adjust the speed of the ship to avoid it.

If you are concerned just order the "patch" from your physician and follow directions on the box.

There really is no definite answer to your question.

Good luck,

Paul

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Martita

Bobbie, I am also "crossing", but March 19-30...I have usually cruised the Caribbean but have heard from many that
the transatlantic cruises are marvelous!
My Mother and I will embark in Ft. Lauderdale, cruise to Funchal, Portugal!
Which should be a fun Island! Good luck with your weather in Oct.

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have sailed from Lisbon to St Thomas and from Lisbon to Barbados, twice. Each trip was in Nov, '98, '99, and '01. We had one day of slightly uncomfortable weather in '99. That's one day in 6 weeks of transatlantic crossings. Chances of your weather being excellent are very good. Enjoy!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Hi Bobbie:
So how did the Oct. crossing go? If I remember correctly, there were many hurricanes in the Atlantic that Fall.
Let us know how your cruise came out.
Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:00 PM

This cruise was wonderful! It was my 17th cruise and one of the best for relaxation. One never knew they were sailing if they didn't look out at the sea - it was THAT smooth! Loved the Constellation - this was our first cruise on Celebrity and will certainly go back for more. Food and service were great - disapponted in the entertainment, though - was about 5 days before there was a production show (one of only 2 for a 2 week cruise!)
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Conctellation Transatlantic Oct 24th sailing.....does anyone know why the port of Gibralter, which was on the original itinerary, was replcace by Cadiz?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Bobbie,
I'm not 100%, but I think that was the time that they closed the port because of the cruise ship (UK line - can't think of the name) that had all the people with the virus. For a while they wouldn't let anyone disembark. I read that it was only the 2nd time that the British authorities had closed the port and many Spaniards were upset because they couldn't get to their jobs. I think you were caught in that situation.
What did you do in Cadiz?
we're doing a crossing Sept 04. We did one in 02 and loved it.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Sailed on the Grand Princess from Lisbon, stopping in the Azores, then into New York in late September last year. Ran into Hurricane Gustav, arrived in New York with many broken plate glass windows!
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Hi Bobbie: In June last year I sailed on the QE2 from NY to Southampton. No icebergs. Very smooth. However, I found it disconcerting to lose an hour everyday on a six day cruise.

However, in Sept on went from Venice to NY on the Golden Princess. Much better on the brain. However, we hit the tail end (1,000 away) of Gustave. Force 10 gales. However, the sea bracelets which we bought aboard ship really worked. We also hit another storm of about the same magnitude with no name. Apparently, if a storm originates in the middle of nowhere, there is no name. Just waves. But the bracelets were great.

In spite of the fact that Septemberish is a tricky for crossing the Atlantic, I plan to go from Venice to Ft. Laud. the first week in Oct.

Bon journee