Corfu and Dubrovnik Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My husband and I will be doing a 12 night Mediterranean cruise with RCCL this summer. I know that I read a lot about taking shore excursions with or without the cruiseline on this board and have made decisions about most locations... Most except for Dubrovnik, Croatia and Corfu, Greece. Are the sights/restaurants/shopping areas within walking distance from the port - or will we need to take buses? Would you suggest RCCL tours in these cities???
Thanks so much!!!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:15 AM

We were in both ports last Sept. Trying to think--- Corfu, we used a Greek Islands guide book to explore on our own. I think there was some sort of shuttle bus there to bring us into town or to a place where we could then walk. Ship will probably supply a map for you. We walked around the lovely old town with its Venitian look, had a pleasant lunch near the "esplanade", visited the church (can't remember the name, but any guide book will tell you which one it is that is not to be missed). Now that i think of it, we asked a shop keeper who directed us there. Saw many cruise ship tour guides holding up the banner for the big group to follow. So gald we did this one on our own. Dubrovnik---- wow, we loved this city and did take the ships tour although looking back, it was just OK, but i remember how nice it was to be able to talk to the guide who had lived through the war there and get first hand info on life under seige there. There were shuttle buses that our ship had going back and forth, but taxis were available to take you into the town. Maybe a 10 minute ride. Not walkable. Do climb the old walls if you are not too height phobic. We LOVED dubrovnik even though it was raining the whole time. Unbeleivable. Our tour allowed us to wander around afterward and take any bus back to the ship.Have a great time on your cruise. By the way, if you go to Cruisecritic.com there is a ton of info on the ports you will be in and ideas for private guides etc. I only discovered this recently.. Planning is half the fun, don't you think!!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Go to www.agni.gr for all Corfu information
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM

In Dubrovnik, we tendered right to the old city, but then the seas changed, the ship moved, and we took a bus back to the ship.

We walked the city walls with the audio guide, and went to museums and churches that we had read about.

In Corfu, there was a bus from our ship to town. We did a self-guided historical walking tour, and then took the tour on a train on wheels to some of the outlying areas of town.

Both were great days.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM

We did the same cruise 2 years ago. We absolutely loved Corfu and Dubrovnik. We took a jeep tour in Corfu which included a fabulous lunch in the mountains. In Dubrovnik we walked along the wall and had lunch in a small cafe in town. The people were very friendly and many speak English. I would not take a tour in Dubrovnik.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM

We also did the audio tour on the wall in Dubrovnik and then bummed around on our own. We had a fantastic lunch sitting in a restaurant down at the harbor and watching all of the action. Wonderful day, one of our favorites on our month long cruise.