Convenient hotel in Amsterdam

Aug 4th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Convenient hotel in Amsterdam

My husand and I are planning a cruise on Celebrity Century leaving Amsterdam on Aug 26....we want to arrive there on the 24 or 25 for an extra night or two before the cruise....and 1 night after the cruise..we would like some good info on where to stay (in a nice safe hotel) ...how close is the cruise terminal and airport (Schiphol) to the center of town and what would be the best way to transfer from airport to hotel and from ship terminal to hotel......what are the best things to see and do while we are there....we have heard that the theives are thick in Amsterdam and that we should really keep an eye out........thanks for the info.....
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:35 AM

The ships usually dock down near the Train Station and to the north of it. Usually, they do not know exactly where until they are approaching so the locations can vary. Most hotels are located down near there or near the tram system or an easy cab ride away. The further away from the central area, the less expensive. We stayed at a Best Western that was walkable, but probably not with too much luggage. The area was a bit more residential, but safe with plenty of nearby restaurants. We walked or took the above ground trams to the Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum, the Riks Museum, Botannical gardens, Heineken brewery. Too bad you are missing the tulip season and Aslmeer Flower Auction place - that was the absolute highlight. The Flea Market and Red Light District are probably the worst for pickpockets - but use your head, pay attention to signs that warn of dangers, and stick to the beaten path. We had no trouble or bad experiences. Oh- transportation to and from the airport can be made on the tram system, by bus (shuttles to various hotels - you don't need to be staying at a hotel to use the shuttle) for about $10, cab fare is about $40.
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info....I am really getting cold feet since my Skymiles flight must include 3 plane changes going and coming back...and the one in Cincinnati, we have only 45 minutes to catch the next flight to Newark!!! I am thinking maybe we should wait and see the tulips in the spring.....do you think it will be too cool or rainy this time of the year?
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Can be cool and rainy in the spring, too. That's the weather in Amsterdam. Check out a weather site to be sure - we were there at Easter time - a sweatshirt jacket was perfect and a small travel umbrella. Are you going on a riverboat cruise or something else?
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:12 PM

If you are leaving in less than 3 weeks, how can you consider waiting until next year? Won't you lose your payments with the cancellation??

I stayed in Amsterdam for 4 or 5 days prior to my Century cruise a few years ago.
I used the canal boats for transportation a couple days.

My hotel was the Marriott near both museums and a lovely park. I just walked to all of those.

I took a taxi on cruise day to the port---about $4.00 from my hotel.

To get to from the airport to the Marriott I took an airport shuttle---I think about $11.00 (but it had been about 6 years ago).

Oh, and by the way I did that trip solo....no problem in Amsterdam!!

A great city to sight see. I loved the museums and recommend renting the headsets that explain every painting that you wish to know about.

On the return, I just signed up for the ship's transfer to the airport. No problems---great cruise also.

Hope you have a great time!!
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM

The weather in August is in general better then in spring. check www.wunderground.com for details.
The cruiseterminal is close to central station and close to city-center.
Next year Celebrity will sail from Rotterdam, no longer from Amsterdam.
Plenty hotels in Amsterdam, public transport is good. Tram 25 now stops in front of the cruise-terminal.
check: http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/ for more details.
Tulips are best end of april/beginning of May.