Comparing ships-need your help please!

Sep 18th, 2000, 06:09 PM
Patsy

Comparing ships-need your help please!

We're planning a European cruise. I was leaning towards the Radisson Navigator (7 day) but now am leaning towards a 12 day cruise. Princess goes from Barcelona to Istanbul (it will be on the Golden but this is the sister ship to the Grand) but Celebrity has something similar on the Millinium....has anyone been on both (Millinium and Grand) who could offer some comparisons??? (Or should we go back to the 7 day on the Navigator??) Help, I'm getting frustrated! Patsy
P.S. We love HAL if this let's you know where we're coming from.

Sep 23rd, 2000, 07:58 PM
Paul Therault

Dear Patsy,

I am a travel agent and have sailed most ships.

I have been on the Grand and found it to be the most beautiful ship in the world. Excellent itinerary.

Millenium has not sailed the Med as yet but Celebrity is on an even keel with Princess.

If you love HAL it is a few hands above the two above therefore I would choose the Radisson. The only drawback is the 7 day itinerary (too short for a European cruise).

Let's go back to the Golden. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Paul

Sep 24th, 2000, 06:04 PM
Chris

Can be of little help to you BUT I would double check my facts about the Golden Princess if I were you. I think you're comparing apples and oranges here.The Golden Princess is very small(28,000 tons)and carries only 830 passengers. It was built in 1973(re-furbished in 1993). The Grand Princess and the Millinium are MEGA/NEW ships. Grand is about 3 years old and the Millinium was just built this year. They both carry at least 2,000 passengers and should lack for nothing except that small quaint feel(if that's what you like. Both Celebrity(fine food and service)and Princess should be fine cruising experiences.But Royal Caribbean might fit the build to(if they have your ports), and are right up there with there ships built in the mid-nineties.

Sep 24th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Chris,

I believe you should do a little more reasearch.

Patsy and I are talking about the NEW Golden Princess of the Princess (P&O) Lines. This is the sister ship of the Grand and will do the Med itinerary talking over for the Grand next summer.

I am a travel agent and do know my ships.

The Golden Princess you are talking about does exist as a ship but is now owned by Star Cruises (Singapore). They did name it Superstar Capricorn but then leased it to Hyundai Merchant Marine and they renamed it the Hyundai Keumkang.

The ship was originally was built and owned by the respected Crown Cruise Line and was named Royal Viking Sky. I did sail on this ship.

When Crown folded it was sold to Norwegian and named the Sunward.

It was then sold to Birka Line Ab and named the Birka Queen.

Quite a short and varied history.

I do not know when it would have had a multi-million dollar refurb. Possibly you can tell me who did this? More than likely it has just been minimally maintained.

Paul

Sep 26th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Patsy

Thank you Paul for your help and insite. Unfortunately the mini-suites on the Emerald Deck are all sold out for our sailing next summer! We now have a guarantee for an "AC" mini-suite. I guess we'll just live with the lack of privacy thing. Ironically, we're not really big sun people and I'm sure the Med will be hot enough that we would have welcomed a shaded balcony. Thanks for your help, keep up your good work of keeping us informed with all of your knowledge. Patsy

Oct 1st, 2000, 01:47 PM
coolgaga

My husband and I have been on many cruises with various cruise lines. The trip we took on the Grand Princess was the worst cruise in the last ten years.
We paid top dollar for a suite with that was supposed to have butler service, however we never saw the butler.It appears only travel agents have good experiences on this ship.

Oct 1st, 2000, 09:00 PM
Paul Therault

Dear Coolgaga,

I have never heard back from any of my customers about their non-existant butler.

Possibly you had a "B" category with a balcony. These are not suites but may look like one.

Was the cruise terrible only because of the butler? Maybe you though the guy with the black suit and tails was the cabin steward.

When I travel no one knows I am a TA. Therefore I do not receive any special consideration.

My question is ..... why did you not speak up and ask if your butler passed away?

I can not see complaining after the fact.

What was your cabin number?

Paul

Oct 4th, 2000, 03:03 AM
coolgaga

Dear Paul:
I am an experienced traveler and I do know the difference between a cabin and a suite on a cruise ship.

This is not a complaint after the fact and there were many more mishaps on this cruise. Our complaint was registered with our TA and the cruise line. The TA was interested but the cruise line was not.

The point of this posting was to advise Patsy that it did not matter how much we paid the service and the attitude of the staff on this ship was less than satisfactory. I have heard this complaint from quite a few people. My future travel will not be on the Princess line. We will stay with Holland America and RCL where we have experienced great service and a staff that listens when you have a problem.