Reload this Page >

Cleanliness of snorkel gear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:41 PM
James

I went on a cruise’s snorkeling excursion. While some people on the ship said that some snorkeling excursions give you a free (new) snorkel, everyone in my boat had old used stuff. I think that the mouthpieces must be dirty. Does anyone know about this? <BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:43 PM
BillieRay

I suggest keeping the snorkel gear out of the ship's pools or else they will be contaminated by the fecal teabags (a.k.a. kids in diapers).

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Paul Therault

Carnival's new policy is that when you rent a snorkel it is yours to keep. Others are still dippping them in a solution that eventually get contaminated.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:10 AM
James

Paul, I am surprised because I sailed on the Pride in June. I am talking about the Belize excursion where you snorkel with the sharks and rays. There was no new snorkels given out to anyone on this excursion. Some other snorkeling excursions got them, butnot the shark/ray alley excursion.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Cathy

I really don't know about getting new snorkel equiptment. On the last group snorkeling trip I went on, the snorkels were in good shape, but they were not new. They were high quality. If you get to keep the snorkel, that means it is very cheap and will not prevent you from getting mouthfuls of sea water.<BR><BR>As far a sanitation, I usually see them putting the used snorkels in a bucket of sea water with maybe a little dishwashing liquid in the water. Thus, I have my own equiptment!!<BR><BR>You can buy just a snorkel at Wal-Mart or a sporting goods store , then use just the mask and the fins. Of course many people get runny noses when they snorkel, so no telling what is left in the mask..!!!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Paul Therault

Hi James,<BR><BR>Very strange since the Pride is one ship where the new snorkels are available for purchase. Possibly they ran out? Who knows. <BR><BR>I, for one, bring my own if I am planning to snorkel. They are not heavy and take up little room in the suitcase. <BR><BR>FYI. Not good to buy cheap discount store snorkels. They are worthless. Go to a dive shop.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Julie

Do you share toothbrushes with people you don't know????????? I definitely would buy my own.