"cheap" group looking at SS Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again.<BR><BR>We're not exactly &quot;cheap&quot;, but it was the best way I thought for you helpful Fodorites to remember who we are, from posting to posting...<BR><BR>OK, our group is *seriously* considering the SS Norway for next April. If we book soon, it'll give the young ones the proper incentive to save their money for this trip.<BR><BR>Any advice on which cabin types offer best value? Some of our group will be in doubles and the younger ones are considering the merits of sharing in triple and quads. If there are more than 2, what kinds of beds would each have?<BR><BR>The other Q that was asked by the younger ones was what would they be expected to pay out-of-pocket on the ship and what prices are we looking at? The issue is more with on-board, rather than with the excursions per se.<BR><BR>Again, many thanks for all your help!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:53 AM

You are going to need a lot of help with this. Cabins are unique on the Norway. Not all cabins in a given catagory are alike. They come in so many different sizes and shapes.<BR><BR>Keep in mind the Norway has low priced cabins that hold 2, and are upper/lower only and smaller than a lot of people's bathrooms. I have also seen some quad's that are terrible. Very tiny, with 2 lowers and 2 uppers.<BR><BR>All ports are tender ports also.<BR><BR>As far as spending money, check about soda cards for the kids. I don't know about video games. If they have them it is going to cost. <BR><BR>I am not going to knock the Norway, but remember this is a very old ship. <BR> <BR>What cabins have you been looking at?<BR><BR>Keep in mind there are lots of upgrades when booking on the Norway. <BR><BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Starfish!<BR><BR>Prices have been quoted for &quot;E&quot; cabins (upgraded from &quot;G&quot and &quot;JJ&quot; cabins (upgraded from &quot;K&quot.<BR><BR>I feel so stupid ;-) - what's a soda card?
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Soda cards are purchased for a set price and allows you all the soda you want. It is usually fountain sodas only, not the cans. I think NCL has them.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 02:22 PM

I just checked NCL's site. Forget that. No help.<BR><BR>I stayed in what they now call AF on pool deck and that cabin was decent. <BR><BR>Best bet is to go to cruisecritic with cabin numbers. Sorry but this ship is the most difficult to provide help with cabins. <BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:54 AM

If you tell me what the actual deck name is I can help you re cabins. As<BR>stated previously not all cabins are equal. <BR>I've sailed her twice on the Norway<BR>deck &amp; personally would not recommend being below this deck. Do not remember soda cards but if you get a cabin w/refrig. it might help you.<BR>And how young is &quot;young?<BR><BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Rhea, We have booked a cruise on the Norway for June 2003. We are staying on the Atlantic Deck - 2 cabins One is for 3 kids the other is for ourselves. Are you familiar with the cabins on these decks? One cabin is 110 sq ft and the other is 168. One cabin is the last cabin in the back of the boat. Any comments?? Thx, Patty
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:19 PM

The only comment I can make is that a 110 sq ft cabin is the smallest I have ever heard of. To put in perspective, I have a king size bed thats bigger than that (its 11 by 11 foot). <BR><BR>Peter
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:14 AM

Peter is so right. You might go to:<BR>www.mytravel.com, click on ships and when you get to the Norway look at the l/o. To give you a better idea<BR>I've sailed in N106 -outside-on the Norway deck. the configuration is much larger than some of the others.<BR>NCL directly @ 1-800-327-7030 &amp; asking about larger-sized cabins.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Believe me , some of these cabins are TINY.