Reload this Page >

Celebrity: Mercury

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Cathy

My husband and I are taking the West Caribbean Loop from Ft. Lauderdale on the Mercury on early March. We are every excited! What is the cabin service like? Dress at dinner? Dress in port? Best things you liked about the Mercury, or the least you liked. We last were on a cruise in 1993, NCL's Starward - a dream itinerary, but a really bad ship. We're certainly hoping for a better experience. Thanks for your responses!

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Marie

Cathy...You have picked a suberb cruise line and will enjoy yourselves completely. I am not sure what you mean by the cabin service, as there is a department called Cabin Services which is equivalent to room service I suppose. They are the operators, etc. If you are wondering about the room service food, there is a room service menu in your cabin with a selection of cold sandwiches, salads, pastries, soups, chili, and pizza and it is pretty good. There is food available 24 hours from the menu although it changes. Dress at dinner...on a seven day cruise there will be three casual nights (embarkation day, the last night on board, and one other), two formal, two informal. Formal is generally a tuxedo and a nice cocktail gown. This runs the gamut from tuxedos to dark suits and simple cocktail dresses to full skirted taffetas or sequin rivers. Informal is a step down but they ask that gentlemen wear coats and ties. Ladies accordingly. Casual is slacks and a sports shirt for gentlemen. One the first night you can get away with anything because the first dinner is very soon after sailing and not everyone has gotten their luggage and have had no time to shake out the wrinkles. Jeans and shorts are not appreciated at dinner on any night but this one and shorts are accepted only for lunch and breakfast if they are "nice", ie walking or bermuda shorts, not cut offs. Dress in port...your ports are all casual, beach attire areas. It should be significantly cooler than a summer run, but will still be warm. Chances for rain are higher at this time of year, but not enough to ruin any fun for sure. On board you can wear pretty much anything as long as it is legal. They do not appreciate bathing suits without cover ups in the restaurants and frankly, I do not appreciate looking at some less than attractive weekend warrior/ess in a lot of spandex and nothing else. The ship is very new and still looks it. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email me. I can go on about Celebrity for pages. Have fun.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 06:35 PM
Cathy

Marie: Thanks so much for your reply! Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was, the cabin steward/ess My husband and I are so exicted about this trip, and especially about Celebrity. Seems everything I hear is wonderful!

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 01:03 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Cathy, <BR>You will see a 100% difference between NCL and Celeb. (Good idea for all cruisers to stay away from NCL until the company is sold to a reputable cruise line). The service is outstanding. Always someone in the corridors to answer your questions. Also, your room steward/esses seem to always be around to help. <BR>You will just love the Mercury. Try to make it to Xcaret, it is absolutely extraordinary. Celeb. is one of the few cruise lines that offer the tour. <BR> <BR>Happy sailing, Paul

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Cathy

Paul: <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for your comments. I know I'm getting good advice, not only from fellow cruisers, but from travel agents, as well!

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 07:54 AM
Rick Richardson

Ditttos on not missing the day at Xcaret. It's just a five minute bus ride from where you port. Mercury is the best ship of five we have been on and Celebrity the best line of four.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Monica

Cathy, My husband and I took our 3rd cruise on the Mercury in March of 98. We had a great time. Our cabin was roomy with a window. We like bottom ship center. Our cabin steward/stewardess was always there at just the right moment. Ant requests were taken care of immediately. Our cabin steward even remember about a shore excursion we were talking about and brought us a small lunch to take, although I'm not sure that is kosher. Dinning service was excellent as was the wonderful choices at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. On one day, my husband drop his tray of food and before he could literally turn his head, someone was there with a new tray and cleaned up the spill. We particularly enjoyed the tour Tulum and sting ray island tour where we fed the sting rays. Monica