Panama Canal on Crown Princess

Nov 23rd, 1999, 10:12 AM
ellen

Panama Canal on Crown Princess

We are going to be traveling on the Crown Princess in January to Panama Canal. Any comments on how Princess is in general for children (four year old) and how the Panama Canal cruise and Crown Princess are specifically? Thanks

Nov 26th, 1999, 11:06 AM
cash

We travelled the Canal on the Regal Princess (Crown's sister ship) in Feb. '97. Can't answer the question about your 4yr old, but I don't recall seeing many children on this cruise - mostly 50+ passengers. The Canal is a marvel of engineering - the weather was HOT(95-100) and HUMID and a number of passengers ended up visiting the ship doctor for dehydration. We felt it was a special cruise and enjoyed Princess' amenities. This ship is the largest we would ever go on, preferring smaller ships with open dining. Food was quite good, entertainment fun and the ship was very clean and friendly. Have fun.

Dec 15th, 1999, 11:12 AM
hamlet

I just finished the Panama Canal cruise on the Crown on Monday. I only saw two young children on board, but they weren't as young as 4. There are youth counselors on board to help entertain your kid if that's what you are wondering about, but I think you can only expect higher numbers of kids during the holiday weeks and even then I don't think there would be SO many. The cruise was fine, good itinerary spaced out with days at sea. Of course it would be more interesting to cross all the way to the Pacific. Unfortunately the rainy season was not completely over last week and it rained ALL DAY the day of the canal transit, and in Cartagena and drizzled in Grand Cayman. The ship is fine, but I don't know exactly what you want to know. If you have specific questions (tours, food, entertainment, etc.) please post them on the board here and I will be happy to answer them.

Dec 16th, 1999, 11:01 AM
ellen

Thanks for your responses. Any info on off-boat excursions would be really useful. We've booked the river trip in Costa Rico but have waited on others at our travel agent's advice. Also, we have outside rooms on the Emerald Deck. Is this much ship noise or motion from those rooms? And finally, what was the entertainment like and was the disco pretty calm? Thanks a lot.

Dec 17th, 1999, 10:57 AM
hamlet

I also went on the Eco-canal tour in Limon. It was just okay not great. We saw a variety of animals along the ride - but it's not like there are herds leaping out in front of you. There might be monkeys or sloths hidden in trees that you need binoculars to really see. I hear the tour to the garden place was really interesting and there were lots of unusual flowers there - if you're into that sort of thing. From Cozumel I went to Tulum which I highly recommend unless you feel really compelled to go to the beach. Tulum was great and so was the guide (Hugo). It takes some getting there, though, including a pretty rough ride on the ferry, but I'm really glad I went. In Cayman I did See and Sea which I enjoyed very much. The snorkeling is the thing to do but I passed on that because I'm not much of a water activity person. See/Sea was just entertaining. I didn't go to the disco except to watch karaoke one evening. I didn't bother because from the looks of the people on that cruise I didn't think anyone would be there. My cabin was on the Emerald deck and it was a great location - just a deck below the dining room and showlounges. Not much motion at all except for 2 days at sea when anyone anywhere was feeling it! I liked some of the entertainment - the magician Chip Romero was funny, Misha the xylophone guy was ok but I think I'd seen him before, the Love Boat dancers were good and so were the main singers although some parts of shows I didn't particularly care for. Over all very good. The Caribbean band that plays outside and in Kipling's is great. And if you like showtunes I highly recommend spending evenings in the Intermezzo with David Crathorne at the piano. He was great. Hope this info helps - or will eventually help when you're on board. Post again if you have other questions.

Jan 30th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Chris

We are travelling on the Crown Princess in April -partial transit of the Panama Canal. We are interested in information on the ports and shore excursions. Ellen you are back by now. Can you help me? Ot other travellers?