Reload this Page >

Celebrity Century - noise problems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 05:25 AM
Roy

Although I've heard wonderful things about Celebrity and the Century, I've also read on this and other web sites of noise and vibration problems on the Celebrity Century? Are these problems being repaired? Do they occur when the ship is starting from a stop? Are they heard through out the entire ship? Are some places on the ship worse than others? Should I change booking to Mercury?

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 02:46 AM
pvh

If I am not mistaken, the Century, Galaxy and Mercury all have problems with engine vibration. It is felt more in the aft section of the ships. People have noticed it in the Mercury and Galaxy in early dinner seating when ship is leaving a port. We were on the Galaxy earlier this year and were on 10 or 11 deck (I cannot remember which) and our cabin was aft--we did not notice anything, however. I would not worry about it unless I was going to have an aft cabin in one of the lower decks. By the way, we leave Friday for another Galaxy cruise--loved Celebrity!

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 07:40 AM
Hilary

I understand that the Century had some engine problems a couple of weeks ago and actually had an engine shut down for 1/2 the cruise. I also hear that the problem has been fixed and only the normal vibration remains. One of the reasons that Celebrity/RCCL is putting new engines in their newest ships is because of this vibration/noise problem that seems to go with this type of engine configuration. I understand the engines in all Celebrity/RCCL ships will be diesel in the future and NO vibration or noise will be felt anywhere in the ship. <BR> <BR>Don't change your booking to the Mercury unless you are thinking of changing itneraries or ports of call. Although the Mercury is 2 years younger, she has the same engine and the same vibration will be felt when she pulls out of port in the evening. It only lasts approximately 10 min. so it's no big deal. Also, make sure you have a cabin fore instead of aft to eliminate worries of vibration or noise while you're in your cabin. <BR> <BR>Remember, a cruise is what you make it!

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 11:06 AM
Marie

Century is one of the best ships on the seas at this time. Of the three larger ships in the Century Series, she has the least noise and vibration. Naturally the noise will intensify if you are on a lower deck, i.e. deck 4 aft, but this is because you simply cannot get any closer to the engine unless you are in a crew cabin. The vibration is extreme upon leaving Fort Lauderdale and this is due to the fact that you are reversing 76,000 tons of metal away from a pier from a dead stand still. As stated in a previous reply, it is mainly when leaving a port and you should not hear any disturbances other than normal maneuvering. Every time a turn is made or slowing down or speading up, there is a difference, but they will not affect your cruise in the least. Century is a fabulous ship with a wonderful crew. I would definetely say that these ships do not have vibration "problems", they merely have to compensate for being so large and being expected to stop or start on a dime. They are not structual problems. You will enjoy yourself on any of these cruises. <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 05:46 AM
Roy

Marie, Hilary, Libby, <BR>Thank you very much for the information. It sounds like there really isn't a significant vibration problem. I appreciate your advice and input. My wife and I are booked on the Century 3/25/00 Eastern Caribbean and I'm REALLY looking forward to the cruise. <BR>Roy

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 09:26 AM
Marie

Roy, I have cruised on Century several times and if you want any further information about her and the Eastern Caribbean, feel free to contact me. <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old Dec 26th, 1999, 05:43 PM
Dot

I would not worry at all about it - we had my husband and six other couples went last Feb 21st on the Celebrity - wonderful ship! And the vib's only were noticed slightly - if that - when the ship was leaving port - we had a wonderful cruise and we were out on the deck saying good-by to the various ports - we had late dinner - meals are wonderful! Have a great time. (wish we were going again this Feb.!!)