Urgent... need advise to find last minute cruise '09 March Spring Break

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have decided (very last minute) we would like to take a cruise during spring break (group of 4 for early March.) Budget not a huge concern, just getting a reservation will be the problem. We are located in Texas, so leaving from Texas port makes most sense, but would consider others. We are thinking Mexico or Caribbean for 5/6 days. Where is the best place to even start looking for last minute deals for cruises? The little bit of research of I've done is so overwhelming. (I've only been on one other cruise and that was 10 years ago.) Are we crazy to even think this is possible? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Try vacationstogo.com, they have a 90 day ticker.

We just booked a March cruise last week.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM

It is kind of late to look for a cheap deal for spring break from Galveston. Mid March cruises are already expensive. But you may try other ports, if you can drive, or with airfare it might be even more expensive. Check with my agent cruise.com Alex at [email protected] and he is in Texas. Tell him spurs send you.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM

The cruises get cheaper in April, but that's the beginning of the rainy season. I decided it was better to go in March than save a few hundred dollars.

Usually the best deals are at 60 days because that's when people have to cancel and the ship finds out they have empty births.

Since I booked last week, the price has gone up about $150 each.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Try this web site, for Cruise Compete, http://www.cruisecompete.com/ You can search for cruises on their site and request cruise agencies to bid on your request. You are not buying directly from them, they are a search engine service.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM

About 3 weeks ago, I booked the following leaving out of Miami though. 2 adults and 2 kids for $2800 for a balcony cabin.

Cruise Line: Norwegian Cruise Line
• Ship: Norwegian Pearl - New!
• Itinerary: 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise
• Stateroom: BB - Balcony

• Departs from: Miami, Florida
• Departure Date: Mar 22, 2009
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM

The cruise lines are hunting for customers. Get a good travel agent and I bet you will be great.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM

We just booked an April cruise (which obviously in an of itself isn't of interest to you since you are looking for early March). I checked every site I could think of for a good price, including Vacations to Go, cruise.com, cruises only (where we booked our last two cruises) and every place else I could think of. We finally booked with Costco Travel and saved about $500, less than the cheapest fare I could find. So if you're a member, by all means call them katiekate.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I second cruisecompete.com I booked a last minute Feb cruise very cheaply. Make sure you know restrictions on passports. I can't believe the number of people who make thatmistake.
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

what kind of restrictions could there be on passports?
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 03:07 AM

I think "passport restrictions" means make sure you have a passport or are going someplace that accepts something else - we are going on Bahamas NCL cruise last March and they still accept original certified birth certificate.
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 04:20 AM

If you go during Spring Break, be prepared for lots of college kids. It's there favorite way to party nowadays- Beaches are # 2.
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Regarding college kids - many cruiselines restrict passengers to those 21 and over - so that rules out many college kids. I know this because we are doing a 3-generation cruise (my mother and daughter plus 2 college friends of dtr). We had to jump thru all sorts of hoops regarding cabin assignments to allow the 3 under-21 girls to book.
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Here's the info on passport requirements:

New U.S. Passport Rules
We are experts in acquiring U.S. Passports for citizens of the United States. We will get you your Passport as fast and efficiently as possible and at the right price! If you need a US Passport you cannot beat our service. Click here for further details.

EVERYONE NEEDS A PASSPORT NOW !!!
Starting on June 1, 2009, ALL US citizens will need a passport or a passport card to travel anywhere and by any means outside the the United States.

Currently, US citizens need a passport if they travel by air regardless of their destination. The new rule now applies to LAND and SEA travel as well.

In the past US citizens have been able to reenter the country from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean with just a photo ID and a birth certificate or other form of citizenship. The US State Department has been gradually phasing in tighter restrictions and the JUNE 1 rules will bring all travel in line, regardless of destination.

If you want to reenter the U.S. you must have a passport.

The only exception is children under the age of 16. For travel from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean they will continue to be allowed reentry with a birth certificate or naturalization paper. Of course children traveling outside North America will still need passports as they always have.

So now is the time to GET YOUR NEW PASSPORT and BEAT THE RUSH !!

home page | passports | visas | travel resources