Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Is it too late to book a cruise for March/04???

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM
wow
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plans we made for March Break (Friday, March 12-19)are unravelling. Long story. Anyway....am I too late to book a Cruise somewhere warm for that week? If not, what wld you suggest for us & our 2 active 15/16 year old kids? Which cruise? Which cruise line? We love water sports, beach, sunshine, exploring....but mainly just "getting away" for the week. Any & all suggestions welcomed!!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:36 AM

You are not too late. In fact, you should be able to get a great rate if you're flexible on which ship or line.

You can use any travel agent or, you may even have good luck calling the line directly. They often have great "last minute" rates on un-filled cabins, again IF you're willing to be flexable. In other words, don't insist on a specific cabin on a specific ship, etc.

One word of warning however, this close to sailing you will be required to pay the full amount at the time of booking and you will NOT get a refund if your plans change again. And this will be during spring break so if thats of concern to you, you might want to stay away from low end cruise lines that have a higher percentage of college age party type passengers.

Ask any follow up questions if you like and we'll try to help.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:59 AM

More important is to look at your air options first and see what prices you are coming up with. Consider cruises out of Miami, Ft Lauderdale- first for the most availablity, then look at Pt Canaveral, Tampa, New Orleans. I always late book and if you are flexable on ship - you can end up with an excellent deal. Head over to www.cruisemates.com on their bargain finder board and place a free ad, TA's will contact you with their best deals. Also look at several cruise discounters and compare.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:12 AM
wow
Original Poster

Hold & BudgetQueen! Thx for you tips! I am going to www.cruisemates.com. Good suggestion to avoid "low end cruise lines". Which ones wld that include? Or, to look @ it another way: Which ones are the "high end cruise lines"?
I am checking air fares now from FLL.
Thanks again! Any other tips???
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:15 AM
wow
Original Poster

"to FLL" and "your tips"
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:34 AM

High end cruise lines do not cater to active teens. That said, there are a great many choices but I think you need to figure out where you can fly to/from and then look at cruisecritic site. Why not try an all-inclusive resort on one of the islands - more time to plan as the previous poster who commented on immediate payment is absolutely correct.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:35 AM
wow
Original Poster

Wpcx2: An Island AI is a great idea but I wouldn't even know where to begin @ this late date! Any suggestions? I wld like to give my travel agent a couple of ideas instead of just saying 'send us somewhere warm'!!! We wld need "5 star". Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Contact Kim's Kruises ([email protected])- she can work miracles. Nothing to lose - e-mail her!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Make sure you can GET AIR BEFORE you book the cruise...

Your kids will love Royal Caribbean Cruise line- or Princess...as both have good Teen programs...

Also ROYAL CARIBBEAN'S EXPLORER has a rock climbing wall and an ice skating rink...

Good luck..
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM
wow
Original Poster

Thx Misha & Andy! Besides RC Explorer & Princess which cruise lines have great teen programs?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Misha,
When was the last time you contacted Kim? I've used her in the past and was very happy with her service, but 2 weeks ago I requested a quote and never heard anything back.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:43 AM

I don't use Kim but have read on other boards that she may be having email problems. If she doesn't respond - call and leave a message.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Thanks, Theresa!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Two thoughts: the Windjammer ships can be a hoot. We've done two of them - they're not real upscale but quite an experience. Get to really out of the way locales and they're smallish. Kids can help sail!
Also, try the Ritz/Hyatt/Four Seasons in the Carib. to see which offers a family-type venue. I've heard good things about the Ritz in Nevis. Club Med is also popular but be careful which you choose - doubt you'd want wet tee shirt contests. Friends of ours used them for years at the ones specifically catering to families with kids.
Be aware, however, that many luxe locations are frequented by travellers who do not want activities or commotion (jet skies, congo lines, etc.). Hate to see you waste your vacation!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:55 AM

I used Kim last year and this year for my Spring cruise - when I e-mail her, I get a response back within an hour! My last communication with her was last week.