Reload this Page >

Carnival pleds guilty....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Charlie

Carinal cruises plead guilty yesterday and agreed to pay $18 million in fines for dumping oily waste at sea and falsifying their records to cover the crime.They now join RCCL as convicted polluters.........please give your business to someone else.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Charlie..again

Pleads......LOL

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:45 PM
xman

You must be wrong Charlie. According to Paul they can do no wrong. And are always the best value.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Frank

Charlie: If you boycott RCCL and Carnival, who's left? Don't forget they own HAL, Cunard, Costa, Celebrity, Seaborne, and pretty soon Princess.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Charlie

You sure have a point there Frank,however it would be nice to see people avoid the Carnivale"flag"ships just to make a statement.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:02 PM
smoky624

Get real - I bet all the cruise lines do the same thing, they just get away with it.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:34 AM
Sally

I remember several years ago when RCCL was found guilty and Carnival was interviewed on some show and was oh so pious that they NEVER do things like that. THEY realize that the sea is their business and they must protect it. You're right, they probably all do and if I wanted to honor my environmental conscience I wouldn't sail again -- but I will. (Hypocrit)

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:58 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Oh dear, my favorite cruise line has been found guilty. Now they have joined the ranks of all the other cruise lines that were dumping.<BR><BR>Guess we will all have to quit cruising.<BR><BR>Maybe I'll sell vacuum cleaners.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:23 AM
Charlie

Paul,your response about dumping seems to agree with the cruise lines.....a joke or somehow its funny.I'm surprised that someone who makes his"living"from sea related activities would take dumping so lightly.As a frequent cruiser myself I've agreed with you on most of the things you've had to say on this forum but I must say you've disappointed me with you thoughtless reply.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:11 AM
Cheryl

I wish people would just leave Paul alone. <BR><BR>He has great opinions, adds a lot of value to these threads, and obviously enjoys his work. <BR><BR>Stop picking on him for every single thing he says. <BR><BR>People complain when he's too opinionated, then they complain when he's too chilled and laid back....give the guy a break and leave him alone.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:15 AM
Phil

Actually Cheryl I wish paul would just leave us alone. It would end a lot of the needless threads that are started as a result of this man's bull headedness. Sooner or later Fodors will realize that he does more damage than good.<BR><BR>His constant rants deprive noobies of valuable information by clogging up this website.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
xxx

Once again Paul you have shown yourself for the ignorant person you are. Sooner or later people will pick it up. Until then ;p

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:33 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>OK boys and girls I will get serious again and tell you the complete story:<BR><BR>Royal Caribbean was caught dumping and were fined. They were caught again and were fined again, this time the fine was more money. They were caught again and this time I believe the fine was more than what they saved by dumping. Sneaky little devils.<BR><BR>Carnival pledged that if they ever dumped in the past or in the future by accident they would report each occurence. This they did. Therefore the fine.<BR><BR>Dumping has been going on for hundreds of years. Silly to boycott any cruise line.<BR><BR>Is anyone ignorant enough to believe I am pro-dumping when I make a living in this industry?<BR><BR>Hello .... knock, knock .... who's there?<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:25 AM
janice

Paul, I enjoy your responses and information. Keep it up. Actually Phil, I wish you would just leave us alone. You contribute nothing useful. Paul doesn't rant, you do.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:03 AM
AncientMariner

Come on people. I love busting on Paul as much as the next guy. This time he not only made a joke, but made himself the butt of it and now you say he should be serious!?!?!?!<BR><BR>Nice to see you don't take yourself as serious as you sound Paul.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:25 AM
us citizen

The dumping violation gets to one of the dirty little secrets of the cruise lines. They get almost all their revenue from U.S. citizens and leave mostly from U.S. ports of call, but they fly under the flags of various banana republics such as Liberia, which are in no shape to enforce environmental, safety, labor laws, etc., or pay corporate income tax. <BR><BR>http://www.earthisland.org/bw/miami7_30.shtml

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:32 AM
cruiser bruiser

True...<BR><BR>http://detnews.com/2000/nation/0003/08/A12-12224.htm

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>I agree and all us American cruise line stockholders know it.<BR><BR>I won't get into politics here but American owned cruise lines have not been successful competing with the "big guys" flying under foreign flags. It's sad but true.<BR><BR>Look at our industries going overseas to take advantage of foreign labor. Do you still buy their products? Of course you do. SAVE money.<BR><BR>Same with cruise lines. If they were to comply with ALL our labor laws all of us would have to pay quite a bit more to cruise.<BR><BR>Which way would you like it?<BR><BR>Don't say boycott all cruise lines. They are employing thousands of us citizens in the U.S. More than 1000 times the crews on the ships. As an example, think about the tons of food that is consumed on the ships that is grown and produced in the U.S.<BR><BR>So what it all boils down to is that you are fighting with yourself.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Jason Yates

I disagree. The cruise lines are free-riding, taking advantage of state and U.S. federal services without paying their fair share. It's wrong and it needs to stop.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:40 AM
xman

With all the tax shelters and the benefit of US protection it is costing us money. How much would they have to pay in taxes if they were US registered?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -