Reload this Page >

Carnival - Paradise

Search

Carnival - Paradise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 01:07 PM
Paul

Carnival - Paradise

We have just returned from the Western Caribbean on the Paradise. The good news was that the smoke free policy was rigorously enforced. Unfortunately, that was almost all the good news. The two major impressions of the week were that Carnival had their hands out looking for $$$ in every possible way in seemingly every possible moment and that the entertainment, activities and dining were aimed for a very low common denominator, somewhere between comic books and mediocre television. We were sorely disappointed. Our last cruise was over 30 years ago and I suspect if we ever go again it will take another 30 years. Almost everything was not to our liking starting with the garish decor, the over loud "Las Vegas" type shows and the lack of a single confortable chair on the whole ship. There was no place to read which had both a chair with a trace of comfort and light including the so called library. By and large the staff was friendly, somewhat helpful but they seemed to spend most of their time acting as a cross between a circus ringmaster and a cowboy herding cattle on a drive to stockyards. <BR> If you like this sort of atmosphere aboard ship do not let me dissuade you from booking a cruise. It certainly was not to our taste. If anyone wants additional specific details please send a message. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Joan

Paul, <BR>It's too bad your cruise experience was <BR>so disappointing. It seems that the ship simply was not a good match to your personality or your expectations. Your description points out some of the features that people "like" about Carnival cruises. Not all of them are universal to cruises in general. <BR> <BR>Please don't give up on cruising... next time make sure your travel agent has a very clear understanding of your expectations so he can help you choose from ships more appropriate to your style. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, Joan

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 07:50 AM
Paul

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid that I have given up on cruising. There are much more interesting vacations and travel experiences for me. I suspect that you are right and I can not find any cruise that will match, or even partly match my interests. I looked for a "theme" cruise in vain before we went. All the themes were not of interest. <BR>As an added feature of the cruise I developed a severe case of contact dermititis from the whirlpool on the Paradise. Two weeks later it still remains, although healing slowly even with much medication from my physician. I asked CCL if anyone else reported such a problem but the silence of the reply was deafening. There was no answer and I can only assume the worst or that CCL just does not care.

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 03:34 PM
mike

Paul, as I've said in severeal messages before, I just returned from the same cruise as yourself on baord the Paradise and had a wonderful time. I found quite a few spots onboard that were quite (spite the rough seas from hurricane Irene) were one could just sit and read a book. There were several indoor and outdoor shady spots. I found the crew to be outstanding! I couldn't thank them all enough for the wonderful time we had. Sorry to hear about you terrible experience.

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 03:38 PM
Mike

Paul, one more thing you said that I meant to comment on. I have to agree with you about carnival having there hands out for $$$$$$$. From thembegging for money for the stupid Video Diary to paying for a soda I found a bit much. Although I didnot drink one soda the whole time the fact that they were charging for this made me kinda crazy! They make a lot of money from people going on the cruise you would think they would atleast pay the crew a little more than what they are making. Speaking to several crew members the pay is not worth the job. The amount of money they make can buy me 5 lunches or 3 dinners. The crew works hard and deserves more money and better support from Carnival than what they get! <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 12:35 PM
steve

Paul. There are ships out there that would be better for your tastes. My wife and I go in the Premier ship Big red boat(4times). they are more layed back, more romantic. smaller showes, food better than carnivals. the ship was built in 1965. 38000grt. a very resaonable priced 3 or 4 day cruise. on dec 17 we go for 3 days in a suite for 400pp. that includes all taxes. They do advertise the carton characters but we have never been bothered by the kids. the only time we saw a sales pitch was at the port of call seminars, they tend to send you to certain shops. just don't go to seminar. we also never sail from june-nov, hurricanes. get yourself a brochure and take a look.

Old Nov 5th, 1999, 05:14 PM
Mitch

56 great reviews for the Paradise...this <BR>is the first lousy one. I guess I will <BR>take my chances when I sail on her January 9th 00

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 01:28 PM
Sandy

After reading some of these messages, I had to reply. I think a vacation is what you make of it. Mishaps can happen, but we always try to make the best of things. We are going on the Paradise in July. We have cruised in Sept. Oct, Jan, and twice in March (different years). Our first cruise was on the Carnival Mardi Gras - seems we ended up in the dungeon on a last minute deal (15 years ago?). We have also cruised on Dolphin Seabreeze, HA Noordam, Big Red Boat, and Premier Seabreeze. These are older smaller ships and we had a great time. We are really looking forward to the Paradise and are taking our three teens (their 3rd cruise)on the July 23 sailing. Will let you know what we think.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Foz

Does anyone know if you needed an electricity converter on the Paradise. I would like to know whether or not to spend the 25$ for one. We would need to plug in hair dryers and travel irons. Any information would be appreciated.