Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Carnival Fun Shops liquor prices - more intoxicating than ever

Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carnival Bon Voyage department is now called "Fun Shops" - they pre-cruise sell various items, like gifts, logoed (bags, hats, apparel), stateroom decorations, non-alcoholic drinks, beer and water, drink packages, Cruise Cash (credits) and other stuff. But the Fun Shops best deals are the bottled water, soft beverages and the alcohol (by the bottle, of course).

I give you here a link to an article about the Carnival Fun Shops, which is interesting for comparing the latest "alcohol prices" upgrade in 2014

http://www.shipcruise.org/carnival-b...ces-fun-shops/

It appears, that the fun shop liquor cost is getting raised by Carnival Cruise Lines each year by 5 to 10 dollars per bottle - regularly. It could be a matter of inflation compensation, it could be part of the latest trend to lower the cruise alcohol consumption (along with the greenhouse gases LOL),

It could be also just stock market (shareholders need money, you know). All cruise lines make huge money out of liquor sales, so no huge surprise here. This is the official Carnival link to their shops where all items are listed by category (no price history there, though

http://www.carnival.com/Funshops
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 05:43 AM

Those prices are ridiculous. Here for example a 750 CC bottle of Chivas Regal is around $20.00 but for CCL it's I think $90.00 albeit a 1 L bottle I presume.

Some yrs. ago we went to the bar in Trump Tower Chicago and they were charging $300.00' yes that's correct for one bottle of Absolut vodka. Even more ridiculous.,

In 2006 we cruised French Polynesia and I remember that a 1.75 L bottle of Jack Daniels was $140.00 USD! Even now it's about $40.00 here.
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Yes, sir, mr jacketwatch, totally agree with you. Prices are soaring, but it is "it's a free country" deal after all, right?

Add to these "most fun" prices also the new Cheers package dynamic pricing (all inclusive drinks program) plus the recent smoking on balconies ban - and the Carnival fans have now the perfect time to quit both drinking and smoking - in one fun package LOL
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM

I wonder if this will cause more people to smuggle booze on board?

Alcohol is not big on my list so a few beers or a Scotch is fine. I just don't spend much on board for liquor.

Good thing. .
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Booze smuggling on ships is getting so sophisticated these days - now with all the fake boobs and belly and what not gadgets on the market - SO COOOOL!

No more suitcase trafficante - current trend is "just gifted" or "simply large structured" LOL

But I can't blame the lines - with cheap alcohol their ships will suffer an experience downgrade. Drunks all over the place - not cool at all - even on land vacations.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Fake booze boobs??? .

Well if she can't stand up straight?? .

Many yrs. ago I read about a Sikh coming home to India from the Middle East when bringing any gold into India was dutiable. Someone noticed he had a hard time holding his head up. He had packed so much gold in his turban wrap it was too heavy for him to support.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

She surely can stand up straight - and smiles like a million bucks!!! This ingenious contraption is called Wine Rack - holds 0.75 L, so it's not that "turban heavy" I read about it in an article about Carnival "booze cruise" smuggling - the lady surely looks intoxicating there

http://www.shipcruise.org/carnival-c...verage-policy/

But if you search for wine rack all you get as results are shelves with wine bottles on them - the keywords are "booze bra" LOL. Amazon sell it at $30, but the smiling smuggleress is missing there - bad marketing

http://www.amazon.com/The-WineRack-2.../dp/B001FYZZI2

The other popular booze smuggling "cruise gear" is the Beer Belly, but it's a party maker - holds 2.4 L. Just don't search with just beer belly - the results are just... hideous
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 01:57 PM

Wine "rack" huh. .

Actually why pay $30.00 for it when you can purchase on board for about the same?