Caribbean cruise

Oct 17th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Caribbean cruise

Hi-we are hoping to take our 4 kids, ages 23,21,21 & 19 on a cruise in June. ANY suggestions as to cruise lines, ports of call, etc would be greatly appreciated. We are mainly concerned that they have a good time--is there one line you would recommend over another and ports of call?? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:36 AM

You did not say if you have any experience cruising. The age of you kids would suggest a line like Carnival, which would offer lots of other people their age (and plenty your age too) plus, since your taking a large party, help keep your costs down. You get a lot of value for the money this way.
As for June, it's really warm that time of year in the Caribbean and you didn't say where you were cruising from (i.e. Florida, New York, etc.) You might want to keep a little farther north such as a Western or Eastern cruise as opposed to a Southern Cruise, etc.
Finally, you did not say how long you wanted to cruise. A seven day gives you lots of options, the shorter cruises may limit your choices.
If you can be a bit more specific perhaps we can join in and help you with some addtional information.
Anyway, I like what you are doing for your family. Trips like this can create a lifetime of memories.
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM

I agree with Hold--Carnival or RCL would be the best lines. Southern Carib out of San Juan is a lot of fun.

Don't wait, though--demand is high and prices are probably as low as they're going to get.
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:40 AM

I would also agree with Carnival or Royal Carib. But I wouldn't go toooo far north for that cruise. Your kids are probably going to enjoy the deck by the pool, activities and such. I'd pick something in the eastern Carib or maybe the "Mexican Riviera" out of LA. You want weather that is warm, to best enjoy pool activities. Just my humble thoughts.
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Hello-thanks for the advice so far. We live in Chicago, only cruise husband and I were on was 24 years ago. I guess I thought we would have to go out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami. We want a 7 day cruise to places the kids would have options for excursions-some nice beaches. You are right, they may just want to hang poolside. A more casual atmosphere would probably suit them also. Again, any advice is truly appreciated. Oh, do you go thru the lines directly or can you suggest sites that are reputable to book with or an agent? Thanks.
Oct 26th, 2004, 07:39 AM

At almost 50 years of age, I've done some traveling. My sister loves it so much that she became a travel agent and recommends a Royal Caribbean cruise for your family setup. She says that the Carnivals are nice for young people but that the ships are not as nice as RCL. I've been on RCL twice and absolutely loved it. The next cruise for me is that one, preferably Western Caribbean. I found that the RCL ships offered beautiful ports, a private island where they throw a wonderul island barbeque with a lovely bartering market for the brave at heart. The parties on board are very lively for the teens and 20's crowd. I felt out of place there but there was dico, swing, and someone danced the rumba with me. There's an entertaining costume party on every cruise and the food is the best I've ever had on a vacation. They offered everything from caviar, frogs legs, fried chicken with okra and prime rib at most sittings. A midnight buffet every night and marvelous shows and captains cocktails parties. I dined with the captain and crew. Good value for the money, a little bit elegant yet grand for 20 year olds. A vacation to remember.
See ya.