Reload this Page >

Booking cruises on the internet

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 07:46 AM
Judith

My husband and I are avid cruisers, we cruise 1-2 times/yr. We have always booked through the Auto Club and have had excellent service. Through communicating with others via the internet I am beginning to think that we could book cruises for a lot less than we have been paying. I would like to hear from others that have had luck with internet travel, and if there are specific web sites that have been worth looking at. How is the service with these web sites? Has anyone had a disastrous experience? Are there things to watch out for? Also, when we book, we get an outside cabin and balcony if possible as that is our preference. Do web sites deal only with the lowest category of booking? I would appreciate any feedback.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 11:34 AM
Cash

Judith, <BR>Except for Renaissance Cruises, I have not booked thru the Internet. You mentioned that you have had excellent service from your Auto Club, you will not get "service" from a 'net site. It is cut and dried, so to speak and you should know what you want and not have a lot of questions. I "cruise" thru the sites of interest and my travel agent has always been able to meet or better the "specials" on a net site (again, with the exception of Rensaissance which prefers to deal directly with passengers). Occasionally we have let our TA know we are looking for a specific area to cruise and she keeps an eye out for faxes, etc. from cruise lines with "deals" on cruises in that area and that has worked well. <BR>Too, it depends on how much work you yourself want to put into that part of the cruise, you can spend hours perusing the different cruise sites. <BR>Hope this helps the thought process. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 06:31 PM
fran

<BR>Going on my third cruise in four months later this month. I've used 2 different agency which I found on the internet. Not exactly booking online however, I got nice deals on upper end cabins doing this. Of course, with the agency being far, I knew I might be taking a chance. I confirmed with the cruise lines directly before giving my cc.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 08:55 PM
Tom

Judith, <BR>I have booked a couple of cruises on the internet (I won't post the site here, but if you email me I'll send it to you) and no problems as yet...I was one that used to go thru the Auto Club...I find that I can save about 10% over Auto Club pricing...can be significant on more expensive cruises..however, you do need to know what you want and be sophisticated about cabin selection etc. You don't get a lot of hand holding but the reservations have been handled fairly efficiently. Nowadays it seems like the consumer often knows more than the agent...it is tough to find a good one...I wish I good find a good one who was knowledgeable..

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Denise

Last year I began searching the internet for information and prices for a cruise to Alaska. It was going to be our first cruise and wanted the best. I found a great agent and have been using her ever since. Anyway, if you are considering using someone over the internet make sure you receive solid information from them. Ask questions like: Are you a CLIA member? How long have you been in business? You can also ask to be sent a photocopy of their licenses.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 07:29 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Dear Judith, <BR> <BR>I am a travel agent and of course I am partial, <BR> <BR>Don't forget a REAL travel agent can be very helpful. Shore tour info, upgrades, promotions, past passenger discounts, better accomodations, etc. <BR> <BR>Why go into the twilight zone? You were pleased with the auto club, go again with them. <BR> <BR>Piece of mind is very important. Why take a chance with your hard earned money? <BR> <BR>I find travel agent's prices are mostly lower than internet prices unless the internet company had purchased a large block of cabins and has to sell them reasonably or the entire group crashes and you get your money back. <BR> <BR>And do not forget. Do NOT pay for the entire cruise in advance. Just a deposit is necessary up to about 60 days before sailing. Deposits are fully refundable. <BR> <BR>Most travel agents research promotion prices since they receive about 40 - 50 faxes each day. Most will cut their commissions. Some will even send you a complimentary video. <BR> <BR>Another option: Why don't you get a few quotes from other travel agents. There is no obligation. <BR> <BR>Happy planning, Paul <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 06:30 AM
Hilary

I've just recently switched my booking from a local TA to an online service, and don't regret it for a second. Not only have I gotten the same service, but I also saved $1,000 in the process!! The TA that I found online is always available by e-mail or phone and has provided me with excellent service. She has sent me information through the mail (same as my local TA) and has always been more than willing to answer all my questions. She will be the first person I call when I book my next cruise. And at these prices, I can certainly afford to cruise more often! &lt;G&gt; <BR> <BR>I would say though, that if you aren't the type of person who likes to do their own research and needs to sit down and go through brochures with a TA, that you should always find a local person to deal with. I like to do my own research and narrow my choices down to 2-3, at which time I discuss the options with my TA and choose from th

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 08:01 PM
Mame

Judith, <BR>I booked my first cruise with an agent I found thru the net. Of course, you need to take precaution and do your homework. But the agent I found was absolutely wonderful and got me a more competitive rate than what I could get from my local agent and even most other internet agents. She was helpful in getting me an upgrade on the ship, found me excellent air rates ($189 r.t) and still calls me now and then just to say hello and see how I am doing. If you want more info email me. Good luck!