Booking a cruise online-safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here booked a cruise with www.singlescruise.com in the past? I'm thinking of trying a cruise with them but I've always booked trips at travel agencies in the past, never through an online site. They're probably very reputable but I just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience booking a trip with www.singlescruise.com in the past?

Thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM

The website lists a fone number if you have any questions.I have always booked my cruises with a TA.The important thing I think when booking on line, is to know exactly what is included.The cost of the cruise should be a total something like this: cruise fare + port taxes + government taxes = total.Insurance may or may not be included in the quote and you may or may not want it.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:53 AM

I would also add (if it's not too obvious) to always use a credit card, and make sure that it's the cruise line and not the agent who runs the card.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:30 AM

Just a word of caution Michael.

Many places will advertise "singles cruises". What you need to ask is just how many "singles" are on this cruise, and what will be happening on the cruise in regards to meeting others, activities, etc.

While I'm not single anymore, I recall booking one and imagining a ship full of people I'd be meeting. In reality, the agency that had booked the cruise had actually only book about 50 "singles" on this ship of 2000 passengers. The rest of the people on board were there with family, friends, etc.

The singles cruise agent then hosted two small gatherings of the guests that they had booked...and that was it. Needless to say it was very disapointing.

So, before you book a cruise like this, make sure you fully understand what you're getting.

Hope this helps, and by the way, I did not book with the website you listed, this was probably 10 years ago. A good travel agent could really help make sure if you want a singles cruise you get a true singles cruise.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:34 AM

From what I can determine, Michael wants a "roomie" for a cruise, not a singles only bash-for-a-week.In his other posts he refers to not being able to coax any of his friends to take a cruise with him.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. Yes there is much to think about. I'm also considering an all inclusive like a club med sort of vacation. My major concern with booking something through a website is making sure that I actually get the tickets in the mail. For instance if I go to a Liberty Travel or a AAA office and book a trip and I don't get the tickets in due time before the trip I can just stop into their offices and talk to the travel agent I booked the trip with and the travel agencies, at least the two I just mentioned have been in business for many years and aren't going anywhere, whereas I was just concerned about booking something through a website which is sponsoring a trip. That's why I was wondering if anyone had booked a trip through this particular website before. Also, yes I would probably opt to share a room with someone to cut down on the price but also to at least know one person before going to the dinners and activities. It's not the most important thing, because I imagine I'll get to know people throughout the trip (whichever I decide--cruise or all inclusive) but I thought it would make it a little easier.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:42 AM

Michael...So much of the World of Travel is electronic....My TA booked me a business class ticket to Paris thru American Airlines Vacations.The only "paper" element of the package was the coupon for the transfer from CDG to the hotel and return.In order to get the discount ticket, I had to purchase the hotel package which included the transfer.I didnt stay at the hotel but it was still thousands of dollars cheaper than the cost of a BC ticket.So whatever you end up doing, you might not get much more than a printed confirmation.A cruise may be different that usually comes witha nice packet of documents.But on my last cruise, I just happened to ask the Cruise Agent while checking in at the Miami Pier what if I had lost my documents.Her reply: didnt matter as long as my name was on the manifest and I had the proper citizenship documentation(passport in my case).Best of Luck..Stephen