Search

best weather for cruises - what month?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best weather for cruises - what month?

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of taking a cruise to either the "usual" Caribbean route or the Western Caribbean from Miami. Can anyone tell me what are the best months to do so? I'd hate to be out on the water during hurricane season... Thanks!!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:38 PM

First of all, ships can avoid hurricanes to some extent. You may miss a port or go to a different one. You could have very rough seas. Fall is often the least expensive time. Keep in mind that summer will be hotter in the Western Carribean. I like April.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Bootman4U

The "official "hurricane season" actually runs up until November...but that doesn't mean even if there is one that arises off the west coast of Africa it will cross into the Caribbean...or if one arises in the Pacific that it will cross Mexico going eastbound. The summer months are usually the "low" season in terms of prices with rates going up as the temperature falls to a really high peak around the holidays and then a "low" for a couple of weeks in January and then high again into April.
It can be very hot in the Caribbean during the summer with temps in the 70's and 80's otherwise the farther south you go. I'd worry as much about rain as an actual "storm."
I agree with the above that you may miss a port or be diverted into a substitute but the cruise lines have "protected" themselves well from that "liability" as you'll see if you read the "fine print" in the brochures..usually starts out with the boilerplate language..."in the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, stoppages of labor..." and ends with"....or for any other cause whatsoever..." they can divert you without monetary recourse on your part.
Bottom line: check the weather records availablke on-line for the various regions but actually it can be a crapshoot.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:41 AM

I have done 90+ cruises. March is my favorite month by far. Great weather, fewer kids. Next choice would be November, early in the month.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 03:15 PM

I have done late Jan. early Feb. Both were great. I have done November once it was ideal. I did a Sept. one once and Never again. Rough waters on that one. It was many years ago.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:37 AM

In general, summer is June - August and this is NOT the cheaper time to cruise. Check the price difference from April or May and you will see that once June arrives, the price usually jumps, and sometimes doubles. I cruised on the brand new Navigator of the seas and paid $565 per person for the 7 day cruise the last week in May. The very next week the price doubled. Ask around and you will see that most people currently going on that ship are paying about $1000 per person.

Also, once summer hits, the kids are on summer break and the cruise ships are packed.

Rather than worrying about hurricanes destroying the ship (I think that dmb123 implied this should not be a concern because the ships can navigate around large storms) I think dmb123 missed the point. A hurricane or tropical storm or other big storm can ruin the cruise because of rain. Forget about destruction of the ship - thatwill not happen. But a cruise sucks when it rains the whole time.

Although there can be rain during the spring, the summer rains also accompany hurricane season.

The only bummer with cruising in the winter (besides sometimes expensive rates around the holidays) is that the water might be too cold for swimming/snorkeling if you are from the south and prefer warm water.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:18 AM

Couple of thoughts - we like November and April. The late summer and early fall is official hurricane season but if you go to islands like Aruba, Curaccao and Dominica out of San Juan, they are south of the hurricane belt and thats not an issue. Sometimes we pick a time based on what we want to do - whale watching, for example, is good on the Mex Riv or Hawaii in late December thru January.

Peter