Reload this Page >

best mayan ruins in cozumel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:53 AM
bruno

Did anyone ever do an excursions to go see the mayan ruins in cozumel? If so is it worth it? Should I book thrue the ship or on place? Do anyone have a web site of an agency

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Cathy

Cozumel has very minor Mayan ruins - I have never seen them because I heard there is not much to see.<BR><BR>However, if you go to the mainland, there are the ruins at Tulum and Chitzen Itza. Chitzen Itza are one of the best Mayan sites in the Yucatan but a ships excursion may be expensive to go there. Tulum is more resonable but it makes for a long day. When I went (summertime) it was unbearable hot. I vowed then that any other time I went to Cozumel, I would stay at the beach and swim and snorkel.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:29 AM
karen

Hi when we were in Cozumel for a port day we rented a car. There is one road that crosses the island then you follow the sea around back to San Miguel. We stopped to see the ruins, they charge a small fee. Since we have never seen any other ruins it was interesting to us, but not spectacular. The drive though along the Atlantic coast stopping at local bars and beaches was wonderful. We really saw the whole island not just the tourist spots. We finished are trip by stopping at Playa San Francisco, Nachi Cocom and then my husband went snorkling off the shoal at a little bar. Since we were in port till late we were able to walk around town and went for a special dinner at Panchos Backyard which was great. Have a great time. Karen

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:57 AM
CruisingBoi

Bruno<BR>Take the G/F and cross over to Playa del Carmen."Playa" is very charming.Stroll along the main drag, do a little shopping maybe,watch some of the peeps,then catch the ferry back to Cozumel.Have a nice din-din in Cozumel.The ruins will ruin you!To Chichen Itza etc its a very rigorous trip.When I went the bus was FULL of people asking their partners why they took that trip instead of going to the beach!!<BR>Jason

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Ken

The ruins on Cozumel are interesting although not impressivly large. I agree with the above posting that the way to enjoy the island is to rent a car and drive around the island. So many people that I have talked to did not like the island because they only saw San Meguel. The far side of the island is beautiful. I have found that we always have a great time by really exploring on our own. It only takes about an hour or so to drive around the entire island but take the time to see the nooks and crannies. We always joke that we haven't really experienced an area until we have discovered where the trash dump is. There are two light houses on the island that you can climb for a small gratuity to the keeper. Last time we were there the roads tro these were not paved so it is worthwhile to rent a small 4 wheeler Chevy etc vs a regular car...usually a VW. The car rental places are right at the cruise ship docks...check a couple real quick to compare prices. Another option is to get a cab to give you an island tour. Good luck and have a great time...say HELLO to Cosumel for me.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Ken

The ruins on Cozumel are interesting although not impressivly large. I agree with the above posting that the way to enjoy the island is to rent a car and drive around the island. So many people that I have talked to did not like the island because they only saw San Meguel. The far side of the island is beautiful. I have found that we always have a great time by really exploring on our own. It only takes about an hour or so to drive around the entire island but take the time to see the nooks and crannies. We always joke that we haven't really experienced an area until we have discovered where the trash dump is. There are two light houses on the island that you can climb for a small gratuity to the keeper. Last time we were there the roads tro these were not paved so it is worthwhile to rent a small 4 wheeler Chevy etc vs a regular car...usually a VW. The car rental places are right at the cruise ship docks...check a couple real quick to compare prices. Another option is to get a cab to give you an island tour. Good luck and have a great time...say HELLO to Cozumel for me.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:05 PM
diane

Regarding the bus full of people whining about the beach: My husband and I flew to Merida (about 25 years ago) and got a hotel for two nights. The next morning we rented a car and drove to Chichen Itza for the day. It was hot--but unforgettable. The next day we flew to Mexico City. I have always wondered why so many people go all the way to Mexico just to go to the beach!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Jason

Ken<BR>So where's the trash dump??????<BR>J

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:25 PM
M.B.

Bruno you might want to hire a taxi with an English speaking driver and go to "The Murcielagos" Ruins. It's about a 30 min. drive....and it's very interesting.....then do a 'little site seeing. Taxi's are reasonable, but be sure to agree on a price before your tour! Have a great, fun trip!