September 3 Alaska-weather?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone cruised the inside passage with a land tour after in early September? How cold is it then? Is there likely to be more rain/snow than in late august? Thanks for input!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM

You are asking a question that can NOT be answered. It makes little difference between these two weeks. Yes, you need to be well prepared in your attire, and expect some rain. The way it goes.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

of course-silly-i know better-sorry.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Rain, yes. Snow, maybe. Cold? Yes, especially when it's windy and by the glacier.
I've been at both times and weather doesn't varies much. Late August is definitely better than September, i.e. having a better chance of better weather. Early August will give you even better chance of better weather. The key word: chance.
As the weather goes, no guarantees. June July would be evne better and thus higher prices.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Your answer was very helpful.-a reality check. We booked today for Aug. 21 and will hope for the best but be prepared for rain, etc. The way our weather has been this summer, summer hasn't really arrived yet! So maybe it will get to Alaska when we do!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I hope the weather will co-operate too as we are leaving on Aug 23 from Vancouver. BQ has been there hundreds of times so I'll just say I've been there a few times.
Every time, regardless of months, I am bringing rain gear, sweaters, hoodies, gloves, neck warmers, toques ... you get the idea. I have seen snow in June and July plenty of times so be prepared is a big thing. Good luck on your cruise!
BTW, which ship did you ended up booking on?
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

we're on celebrity millenium sailing aug. 21 with cruise tour afterwards. we only booked a couple of days ago so i'm scrambling like mad to get flights, hotel, etc.--gotta sleep now!-am putting my down vest and rain slicker in the bottom of the suitcase!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

how about you? where are you staying in VC? just reserved best western downtown. would love to see Buchart gardens but getting there is expensive. any ideas?
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM

you will love this cruise, took it 4 years ago, yes you will need rain gear but also make sure your footwear is water resistant to keep your feet dry especially if you do the eagle tours.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Staying at the Westin Bayshore. Decent price, walking distance to Stanley Park and a bunch of good restaurants. Where ever you stay, it's always a cab ride to the terminal anyway as there is no decent hotel around the Terminal.

Gray line offer tours in Victoria. You have to make it to Victoria first though. Suggestion: you might want to rent a car, take the ferry crossing and take a hotel night or two in Victoria and make a short trip out of it. They have a decent museum and a few other sights. Last time I was in Buchart garden was almost 10 years ago. The lighting at night was amazing and they had fireworks. Alternative: fly from Vancouver to Victoria. Airfare in Canada is expensive.

I didn't pack my down vest but rain slick is a necessity.
I will have sweaters, sweats and fleece vests as well.
Hiking boots or comforatble cross trainers with good grips.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM

You don't mean take/pay for/reserve space for a car on the ferry round trip just to be able to drive to Butchardt do you?

There are buses from donwtown Victoria that take you there with no problem. Easiest would be a tour, though.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:29 AM

I mean rent a car, take the ferry, stay a couple nights and go see more places than just the Garden. Victoria is a nice ppalce and the island is huge. There are plenty to see if you have the time. I've been to Vancouver island a few times and have yet to explore their northern shores. Been to the west coast (Pacific side) and it is absoluetly beautiful.