Who has been on the MS Shevchenko?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a Gate 1 tour Kiev to Nesebar in August. Has anyone been on the river boat MS Shevchenko? We understand the rooms are small. How was the bathroom? Hopefully, it doesn't have a shower coming down over the toilet like we had in China.
Any info would be appreciated.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:25 AM

wyck, did you take this cruise? What are you observations? We are thinking about a similiar one in August, 2009.
Thanks,
Jane
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Jane and wyck:

We opted for Viking and had a great trip...from Moscow to St. Pete along the Volga..this past October..cold but comfortable..we are fiercely independent travelers, but tried this for a change and loved it...we were on the Surkov, newly remodeled, 160 sq ft cabin (hotel style beds), nice bathroom, superb service...only 140 passengers (200 capacity)...used the ship as a hotel for 13 nights, with many included and a few optional tours...all excellent.

This was my third visit to Russia, twice during the grim USSR days, as far east as Uzbek SSR...changes are overwhelming.

Viking is headquartered very nearby in Woodland Hills, Calif..so I went to their offices and snatched a 2-for-1 offer I could not refuse...

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Russia2008#

stu tower

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM

Stu, thanks for reporting on Viking and posting the pictures. Love those onion domes!
I, too, signed on for the 2 for 1 deal by Viking on the cruise from Odessa to Kiev. We leave on August 10.
Jane
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 07:38 AM

janeB amd wyck:

Be prepared for a big surprise when you visit Kiev (my familial "home town&quot..it is striving hard to become "world class", and in some respects it is succeeding.

As I mentioned, we left after the river trip and visited Belarus (wife's mother's birth village) and Kiev...we did some satisfying genealogical gymnastics, as I call it.

Wyck: you will love Nesebar...the beaches are exceptonally beautiful...we've driven throughout many regions of Bulgaria (as recently as '05)...the stretch from Varna to Burgas is beachy and scenic. I do hope the ship docks in Varna...its Marine Gardens overlooking the sea are quite inviting. Bon Voyage!

Here are the Belarus and Kiev pics...

http://tiny.cc/0dFS4

stu t.
[email protected]

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM

You've convinced me with those pictures! Looks like a fantastic trip.