Baltic Cruise 2008 Which Line?

Sep 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Baltic Cruise 2008 Which Line?

My wife and I are planning a Baltic Cruise in July 2008. We are down to Celebrity Century and the Holland America Rotterdam. We will be taking our 13 year old daughter. The itineraries are fairly similar so any opinions on the ships or the cruise lines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:16 AM

I am interested in the same cruises and are leaning towards the Rotterdam as it has more port days and less sailing days.
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Check out both ships on www.cruisecritic.com
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Henda,

We enjoy the sea days but would like the HAL itinerary to get into Oslo. Other postings have not been as positive on HAL as they have been regarding Celebrity. The cruise critic reviews graded the ships close to one another. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Rotterdam.
Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM

I have sailed with both cruise lines many times. I prefer the Holland America ships. I love the wraparound teak deck with deck chairs. It makes me feel as though I am on an ocean voyage! The Rotterdam is a much roomier ship than the Century, and the service is wonderful. They are especially good in Europe. But an important consideration . . . which ship does Cruise Critic recommend for teens?

Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM

We did this trip two years ago with Oceania and it was the BEST cruise ever! It started in Stockholm and finished in Dover, England about 14 days later. Food was fantastic, comfort of the ship great, and there were only about 840 passengers. Really my preferred cruise line.
Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:38 PM

We have been on 6 European cruises -- 2 on Holland Am. Much prefer Holland Am and would be our choice all other things being equal.
Oct 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM

I am traveling with my family on Celebrity next summer to the Baltic and am bringing my 12 year old son. Celebrity came very highly recommended for their preteen program.
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM

We found the redone Century to be a disappointment. The ship felt very crowded, food and service were mediocre (except Aqua Spa and Murano), bathrooms tiny.

I would go with HAL as we have been very pleased with their ships.
Oct 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Oceania,Oceania,don't look any further.Scores 10 on all aspects. Small ship 684 pax. Three days in St Petersburg. Book a private land tour in St-Peterburg.Open seating great food and attentive staff.Just the best!
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Sailed on the newest Holl. Am ship last fall through meddit. and across the ocean to New york. Wonderful staff but too old for teenager. This line caters to an older crowd and even though we are in our 50's we were bored at times compared to other cruises we have taken. Food was just okay. Your teen will not enjoy sailing with old people like us. There were only 4 kids on our ship and 2 newly wed couples to represent people under 30. Felt quite sorry for them. Pick celebrity or try NCL.. Lots to do on their ships.
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Not sure I would accept Marnnirk's comments as representative of H Am. I think it is more the type and time of cruise. Not many young family have time for a crossing and it doesn't surprise me that only an older crowd was on board at that time. As posted earlier we have been on two Med cruises with HA in June with our two sons, and it was terrific. At that time there was a good mix of young and old.
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:20 AM

Very interesting to read about the different cruise ships sailing the Baltic. We are cruising leaving on the 15th July, and couldn't decide between the Oceana Regatta 14day, or the new Eurodam 12 days, but have decided on the Eurodam, hope we have made the right decision. Love to hear from anyone who may be going on the Eurodam on the 15 th July from Copenhagan, and if any one is interested to do a private day tours in St Petersburg (recommended so many times ) I would love to heard from you. Anna
Jan 1st, 2008, 06:25 AM

You need to sign up with cruisecritic.com and go to the roll call section then holland america and then eurodam. Here is the link to the one started for your cruisehttp://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=589141

You can meet and make arrangements with fellow passengers on that particular cruise. WE are doing the same cruise later in August. Enjoy!!

Search this Thread