Antarctica - strenuous?

Search

Antarctica - strenuous?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antarctica - strenuous?

I was wondering how strenuous the sightseeing is on an Antarctica cruise. Is it possible to remain in the zodiac boats for some of the landings that might be more difficult to maneuver or would you need to stay aboard the ship to prevent difficult walking?
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 03:36 AM

If it is a landing, you probably won't be able to stay in the zodiac; they are often used to shuttle people back and forth to the ship. And even if they aren't, it would be better to get off and find a a clean boulder with a good view of the scenery and wildlife and sit down and enjoy being in Antarctica.

That said, my experience was that there were always a couple of options for things to do once we landed - from easy walks along the beach to relatively more difficult ones that might require walking on scree or hiking uphill. You can pick the activity that works best for you.

Not sure how big a ship you're planning to go on, but in our case (48 pax) not everyone stayed on land for the duration of a landing. Those who wanted to return to the ship early were accommodated and shuttled back when they were ready to leave.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Jed

Can you give us a sense of the problem? Walking, getting out of the zodiac, etc.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM

I just got back from Antarctica yesterday. I have a bad knee, but was able to do everything I wanted to. As Jed said, it would be good to have a sense of what the problem is to give advice.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 03:16 AM

Nevermind - will you be posting a review? Would love to read about your trip.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

We are on a ship of about 100 passenger. I develop muscle pain in my legs after walking for a while. I also have a semi-bad knee, so I was curious how difficult some of the walks might be. I appreciate your responses.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM

I did a small 100 passenger trip about 3 years ago and never had a problem. There was always a choice of how strenuous you wanted your excursion. I think what would really help you is a walking stick. I tried one in the Galapagos and was amazed how much it helped me - the most advantageous thing about a stick is the stability it gives. I had so much more confidence on rugged terrain. Perhaps they already have them on the ship - you might ask.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM

ktsharon -- I have had two ACL (knee ligament) reconstructions. One of my knees is chronically painful, but I was determined to make this trip and it turned out to be absolutely fine. Getting in and out of the zodiacs on windy days was a little challenging, but the crew was so helpful. Louise's suggestion to use walking sticks is excellent. They help give lots of stability and confidence as the terrain is sometimes either icy or rocky.

I have to admit that my doctor did give me prescription for mild painkillers. I'm not much of a believer in using pain pills, but I used them on a couple of the zodiac days and they took the edge off my discomfort and helped me to be more aggressive and less tentative. I'm not suggesting that this would be best for you - that would be between you and your doctor, but it really helped me.

Each landing is a bit different. Often you can just find a place to sit and soak in the power and majesty of the Antarctic - and make friends with the curious penguins. I hope it works out for you. I was so nervous about being able to manage the trip -- and I'm so very glad I went!

eenusa -- I'm hoping to get something put together about our Antarctic adventure before too long.