Search

Another Alaskan Cruise question!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
tod
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Alaskan Cruise question!

A very big thank you to all of you who put forward so much information of the variety of cruiseships etc., but although I have a Royal Caribbean brochure and have looked on their website, nowhere can I find out how a passenger taking a Northbound cruise from Vancouver gets back to either Vancouver or another city in Canada - we need to get to Edmonton. Is this for a person's own travel plans like booking a flight or heaven forbid, a bus?

I feel the 7 night return cruise won't cover as much as we are anticipating. It does go to the Hubbard Glacier aboard the Serenade of the Seas but not the Rhapsody. We want to see lots of glaciers if possible.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:19 AM

Have you tried to get "open jaw" ticket - fly into one city, out of the other? Some airlines do not penalize you for that.

Also, I would ask this question on the Airline forum, not cruises, they may be a more creative crowd
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
tod
Original Poster

Thanks again Dayenu for coming to my rescue! I have just read through Eschews reply in my previous post and see he/she does mention flying home or back from port of disembarkation.
Don't know how I missed that.

Yes, we will certainly have to fly in and out of different cities several times unless the cost is far more not flying back to the same departure place.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM

Hubbard Glacier is a WOW. Gotta expereince it! Just came home from there. If Juneau is on your itinerary, which I think it is, take the Mendenhall Glacier and City tour.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Slighlty off topic, but if you're going to cruise Alaska you should check this out. Princess surveyed their passengers and came up with the best Alaska shore excursions. Results are summarized here:

http://allthingscruise.com/here-are-...re-excursions/
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 04:51 AM

By all means, add some time to tour interior Alaska. You are already there, take advantage. Especially with your glacier priority, you have the excellent opportunity for Exit Glacier outside of Seward, Portage Glacier Visitor Center. And finally the excellent glacier tours out of Whittier- FAR superior to anything seen from your ship, including Hubbard. Although Hubbard is a gem, there can be a wide range of viewability. Fog and ice can impair viewing.